IP Translator

Ken Ju-On 08:42 24 Jul 2003

Does anyone know where I can get a program to translate numeric IPs? For example, from "212.161.48.153" to "click here"?

-pops- 08:50 24 Jul 2003
  Ken Ju-On 09:19 24 Jul 2003

Thanks, Pops.

I also found click here which contains more tools but less articles.

Do you know any non web-based tools I can download and use on my computer? So that I don't have to fire up a browser every time I want to resolve a hostname.

Ken Ju-On 09:20 24 Jul 2003

(by the way, how can I prevent URLs I type here from turning into "click here"?) :D

-pops- 09:22 24 Jul 2003

A non-web based one is not feasible. Imagine the size of the data base!

I believe that the programs work on a dynamic basis and don't have a fixed reference file, they consult new every time.

-pops- 09:23 24 Jul 2003

To stop click heres becoming click heres, put a space before or after the @.

As a point of interest, why do you want to resolve so many host names? It's something I do only very rarely, if at all.

Brian

Ken Ju-On 09:46 24 Jul 2003

Oh yes, Brian, the DNS lookup works on a dynamic basis. I was unaware of that! :D

I thought there was an algorithm that could be used to convert DNS addresses.

I'm just resolving hostnames for the fun of it. Never ever done it before and it seems interesting. How I got into it, is that I downloaded EtherDetect, a packet sniffer, from click here. (By the way how do you prevent URLs from turning into click heres, since they got no @ symbol?) To capture and analyze the traffic travelling across my network was interesting. No malicious intent to steal passwords or anything; just doing it cos it's interesting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie