IP addy on command prompt doesnt ping

woofwoofbark 07:34 09 Oct 2006

Hi I have signed to BT Total Broadband and have recieved thier Home Hub ,,, I have tried a tweak test click here but the IP result comes back as unpingable

command prompt :

ipconfig
IP Address: 192.168.1.64 doesnt ping
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.xxx

dslreports have told me to make the Home Hub pingable but I dont know how too ?

Home someone can help/advise

woofwoofbark 07:37 09 Oct 2006

and I also use no-ip but that says my IP addy is 81.xxx.xxx.xxx

why do command prompt and no-ip have different IP's ?

D@ve 09:38 09 Oct 2006

Your computer is connected to a LAN. Each computer on the LAN has it's own internal IP address which will follow 192.168.x.x. Your LAN is connected to the internet which then has it's own external IP address which is the 81.x.x.x one you have posted.

woofwoofbark 09:58 09 Oct 2006

Should the Internal IP 192.168.x.x be pingable through command prompt ?

and am i unpingable on dslreports tweak ?

thanks again

woofwoofbark 09:59 09 Oct 2006

and am i unpingable on dslreports tweak ? << should read

and 'why' am i unpingable on dslreports tweak ? is there anything that I can do/try that will make my line pingable ?

D@ve 20:25 09 Oct 2006

Through command prompt you should be able to ping your router using the IP address given as the 'default gateway'.

DSLreports will try to ping your external IP adderss however most routers are set up to not respond to ping requests. You may be able to change a setting on the router so that it will respond, depending on which router you have

woofwoofbark 08:38 11 Oct 2006

"DSLreports will try to ping your external IP adderss however most routers are set up to not respond to ping requests. You may be able to change a setting on the router so that it will respond, depending on which router you have"

I have the BT Home Hub ....

Have been trying BT's Desktop Help , but Sanjeep or Kapur (whichever name it is I cant remember) doesnt have a clue ... they give me 0845 600 7030 to call but those numbers are expensive ?? I hesitate to call and spend good money only too speak too someone who cant help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?