IP Address UNIQUE?

Snrub 16:07 09 Jun 2009

Is the IP address unique to a computer, I thought it was. My BT Home Hub connection keeps failing and when I use the diagnostic BT Help it reconnects but over the space of 2 weeks have received 3 new IP Addresses. Is this normal?

T I M B O 16:18 09 Jun 2009

May i ask what tarrif you are on with BT, 1, 2 or 3? What router do you have?

T I M B O 16:24 09 Jun 2009

When i reboot my router i believe my IP address does change each time.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:27 09 Jun 2009

Unless you have a static IP address, your address will change each time you turn the router off. There is no need to reboot the router.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:29 09 Jun 2009

Unless you have a static IP address, your address will change each time you turn the router off. There is no need to reboot the router.

G

Snrub 19:39 09 Jun 2009

I'm on BT Option 2. Thanks Gandalf that explains why the IP changes but how would I obtain a connection without rebooting? Whilst online on occasion the browser IE8 freezes - nothing works can't even shut the computer down without disconnecting the home hub. Something in either the Home Hub or presumably some malware tries to alter the connection. The BT Help diagnostic recommends a reboot. Any Ideas please?

bremner 19:41 09 Jun 2009

Unless you are hosting something on the webwWhy does it matter to you what your IP address is or that it changes?

Snrub 19:49 09 Jun 2009

Trying to understand why computer freezes,why I should have to reboot home hub to re-establish connection and if the changing IP addresss is a sign of malware.

bremner 19:57 09 Jun 2009

It is not it - is a consequence of rebooting the Hub

Snrub 20:14 09 Jun 2009

Trying to explain I am not rebooting just for the sake of it I am doing it because the connection is breaking down and BT diagnostics is advising a reboot. I accept now that a reboot causes a new IP which is contary to most articles written which states an IP address is unique to the individual computer but still need to establish the reason I loose connection. Is it malware that's causing a break in the connection - what do I need to do to cure problem?

bremner 21:20 09 Jun 2009

"...is contary to most articles written which states an IP address is unique to the individual computer"

Sorry but that is simply not the case unless you have paid for a static IP Address.

To resolve your actual problem. Did you have this problem before installing IE8?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?