Ip address stuck

Cookatron 13:28 24 Jun 2009

My ip address is constantly stuck on the same address even after i restored the pc back to how it was when i bought it?! The deafault gateway seems to be blank, doesnt even have a 0 or that in it. I phoned my network provider and they said to make sure my pc was set to obtain automatically (which it is). Resetting the modem and i tryed using the command prompt ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew. I know the network adaptor has everythin enabled on it i think to work and ob course i know this because i had the problem be4 but the guy from virgin fixed it doin sumthin on my pc. I was at work but and when i phone up to ask what they done they cant tell me???? The pc says the driver is upto date and working so im very annoyed at not being able to go online on it lol. Its a acer pc , had 1 month over the warrenty!!! Its annoying me signing on and it saying unknown network local only lol. any help would be appretiated.

howard64 14:58 24 Jun 2009

how does your modem connect to the pc? usb or rj45?

Cookatron 17:24 24 Jun 2009

hello lol
Its connected by ethernet cable. I hav a wireless dlink router set u,p which its connected into one of the ports in the back. My xbox 360, gfs and fathers laptops all work from this network. I tryed connecting it directly to the virgin modem and it had the same effect. :( no connection

mgmcc 19:06 24 Jun 2009

>>> My ip address is constantly stuck on the same
>>> address even after i restored the pc back to
>>> how it was when i bought it?!

What is the actual IP address that it is stuck on?

Cookatron 19:17 24 Jun 2009

its constantly on 169.254.28.208.ive noticed the xbox 360 and other laptop all have 192.168.0.103 and 192.168.0.100 lol. i went into advanced settings for ip settings and its blank unlike the laptop that has dcp enabled in tht box under ip address. my pc is set to obtain ip address and dns automatically as well :(

Cookatron 19:21 24 Jun 2009

wait sorry nm tht dhcp bit. it is in the box saying dhcp enabled. the network driver says it has no faults?

mgmcc 20:17 24 Jun 2009

The network adapter has failed to get its IP address from the Router and windows has defaulted to allocating a "169.254" APIPA address (Automatic Private IP Addressing). This won't let you connect to either the router or the internet.

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters installed in the PC. Right click in the Command Prompt window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the details into a forum reply here.

If you are unable to paste the details directly from the computer, because it cannot get online, paste them instead into a blank "Notepad" file, transfer the file to a working PC and copy/paste the details from there. This might just give an indication as to the cause of the problem.

Cookatron 21:35 24 Jun 2009

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Cook>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Cook-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS191 Ethernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-25-3C-46-6A
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::14f9:2d63:a845:1cd0%8(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.28.208(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 134218092
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{AE688BBD-6991-4C08-8412-D09CE60F4
D74}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:169.254.28.208%9(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

there lol

mgmcc 08:31 25 Jun 2009

There is nothing obviously wrong with the IPCONFIG /ALL details, although TCP/IPv6 isn't yet in use and should be disabled.

It is possible that there is a hardware fault with the PC's network adapter, the ethernet cable or the router's LAN port. Have you tried connecting the PC with a different ethernet cable and to a different port on the router?

Cookatron 10:07 25 Jun 2009

i had this problem before and the guy from virgin managed to fix it lol. Just i was at work and when he came out and fixed it and when i phone up to ask what he done they arnt any help.But he used the same cable. Ill try a different cable to a different port when i finish work. I also had a wireless adaptor tht was plugged into the pc and that didnt work either ?????

Cookatron 17:15 25 Jun 2009

I plugged a different ethernet cable into it and into a different port. I knw they both work, seeing the laptop im on the now works on it? if it is my network adaptor that is broken, even though it says its upto date and working correctly on the pc. I had tryed using a wireless usb clipin but tht had the same problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?