Ip Address on MSN

PaulOwen 17:58 25 Feb 2007

My son uses chatrooms and MSN Messanger and has been threatened by some nasty characters. Can these people obtain our IP address or home address when he is online?

Technotiger 18:07 25 Feb 2007

Hi, not unless he gives it to them. Have a look at this re, Chat Hoaxes ...

click here

PaulOwen 18:11 25 Feb 2007

He hasn't received e-mails or anything its when he has talked to them in a chatroom or on instant messanger.

Technotiger 18:26 25 Feb 2007

Have a look to see if he has filled in his own personal Profile, if it is possible to do this in Messenger. I don't use it myself, preferring Skype where one can have a personal Profile, viewable by others.

If he does have a personal Profile, you/he can edit it as appropriate if necessary.

Technotiger 18:35 25 Feb 2007

I understand your concern, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. These faceless morons may even be teeny weenies just acting 'big'.

Look at it this way too - can you see My IP address or My home address anywhere at this moment. You have no idea at all where I am, I might be in UK or in USofA or New Zealand or anywhere else in the World - how are you to tell? We, are 'chatting' in a way - and it would be no different if we were talking using microphones.

PaulOwen 18:35 25 Feb 2007

He doesn't have a profile and doesn't even use his own name (uses nickname). We were just concerned that someone could trace where he was by IP address when 'on air' on messenger.

whym 18:45 25 Feb 2007

no I highly doubt that someone could trace his IP address to find him. unless he actually told them, i don't think they could get it through MSN messenger anyway. if you are seriously concerned, go to click here and it will instantly tell you your ip address and where it is registered to.

theres a map on the site to tell you where your IP address is registered to, but when i checked mine, it showed the other end of the country to where i actually live so the IP address is probably registered to my ISP rather than my actual home. I hope I've answered your question.

whym 18:46 25 Feb 2007

also, you could get Zonealarm free firewall which allows you to surf anonymously so that your IP address is hidden from other people including hackers - thats if my advice above doesn't help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?