ip address keeps changing!

morgueman 09:33 10 Nov 2007

Hello all, having trouble with my laptop! When i turn it on, the broadband connection comes up, but says there is a limited or no connectivity, even though it says its connected and the signal is excellant! The laptop is done wirelessly, my main pc is connected to the router, Netgear. The main pc is ok, to fix the problem i have to turn of both pc's, unplug the router for a minute or two, reconnect everything,then turn on the pc's, which seems to clear the problem!
When i check the ip address before turning everything of, its changed to 163...., but dont know why!!
I run windows xp, can anyone help please??

johnnyrocker 09:44 10 Nov 2007

most isp's use what is known as dynamic ip address as opposed to static which is largely securer as it will be difficult to get into you, if one leaves the equipment connected all the time then technically the ip will not change but as soon as you switch off then it would appear that the set up needs to be re booted to find new ip addy.

johnny.

brundle 10:40 10 Nov 2007

Your laptop has failed to get an IP address from the router so has used an APIPA address starting 169.254. You need to clarify if the problem is the router or the laptop - the router could be getting an IP address from your ISP no problem. Can you connect the laptop with a cable to see if things work?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?