IP address conflict

chrismuir 10:01 29 Jul 2008

Have got a DG632 modem router, which I hoped to replace with a DG834PN wireless router. As my phone entry point is in the study in one corner of the house, did not get a useable wireless signal where it was needed.

Following some research, i have configured the network with the DG632 as the main router (see below), connected to my desktop pc via USB, and the DG834 as a wireless access point connected to the DG632 via home plugs to allow me to located the wireless signal in the middle of the house.

First Step:  
Plug a single computer to the second Router (make sure that the computer is configured to obtain DHCP automatically from the Router), change the IP address of the Router so that it's in the same subnet as the main Router (the one that is connected to the Internet Modem); give it an IP that doesn’t conflict with the main router's base IP address, or the DHCP server range.  This will ensure that you can reach the admin server of the old router from any LAN machine, and that the Wireless Clients IPs are assigned correctly.
Example:
- Main Router’s base address is 192.168.1.1, with a DHCP server range of 192.168.1.100  to 192.168.1.150
- Set the DSL Router to (the one you're using as an Access Point) base address to any IP address between 192.168.1.151 to 192.168.1.250 

Second Step:  
Switch Off the DHCP on the Wireless DSL Router, and set to Off any filters or special settings that is On if it is used as the main Router. Plug the Wireless Router to the main Router. Regular Port to Regular Port, using crossover cable (or straight patch if one port is an Uplink).

All seemed to work ok, as I can get a connection throughout the house, and was able to connect to the internet fine both from my desktop pc and from a laptop using wireless when used individually.

However, when I tried to use my laptop whilst the main pc was on, I get IP conflicts. I used to be able to use my work laptop plugged into the old router whilst the main pc was on, so I can only assume this problem is connected to the wireless router, and how it is set up. I turned off the DHCP, and set its IP address as 192.168.0.151, is there anything else I should do?

Ditch999 13:28 29 Jul 2008

Main router (DG632) address 192.168.1.1 with DHCP enabled
IP range 192.168.1.100 -150
Turn DHCP off in DSL router and try setting IP address as 192.168.1.150
Make sure subnet is the same 255.255.255.0 on both routers
Make sure all Pcs and laptops are set to DHCP assigned IP addresses and are not static.

chrismuir 19:43 31 Jul 2008

Ta for the advice. Gave up with two routers, just using the wireless one connected to the desktop pc by two powerline ethernet ports. All works fine now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?