IP Address Conflict

Taff36 11:11 25 Jul 2005

I have a wireless card in my laptop and I`m trying to access a wireless router (Access Point) - I get the following message "Windows System Error - There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network" Any ideas how I resolve this one?

Edward_Winsall 11:52 25 Jul 2005

Enter the properties of your wireless card. Find internet proticol and properties on there. Make sure that under both pages the IP address is set to find automatically.

Taff36 12:51 25 Jul 2005

TCP/IP Protocol - both obtain IP address automatically and DNS Server address are selected. Was that what you meant?

mgmcc 13:49 25 Jul 2005

If you are currently using 192.168.xxx.xxx addresses, what you could try is to change the router's LAN IP address to something like 10.0.0.1 (subnet 255.0.0.0), set its DHCP pool to, say, 10.0.0.5 to 10.0.0.20 and see if using these addresses resolves the IP conflict issue.

Taff36 20:57 25 Jul 2005

I see where you`re coming from but .... the system administrator is on holiday for two weeks and guess what? (No-one knows how to get into the router admin page to reboot the router, which is probably all it needs - and without resetting it with a paper clip and setting up 14 computers with my new settings .....!!!)

The MD is livid and his employees company mobile will "ring off the hook" when he turns it on. How many man hours have been wasted because nobody else knows what the password is? And this is day one of the guy`s holiday!

BigMoFoT 13:13 02 Aug 2005

manually look at all the IP addresses to obtain the range and then manually change one to an address that is free - should work OK as a temporary meausre until the IT guy gets back.

Taff36 13:46 02 Aug 2005

Thanks for that last post. I did resolve the issue but I don`t know how other than I asked everyone to switch off their computers and then rebooted. Suddenly everything worked so I guess the router re-allocated IP addresses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?