IP Address change and loss of connection

markcomp 15:50 18 Feb 2006

I have a slightly loose interenet cable and so when from time to time it comes lose and then Zone alarm tells me on re-connection that there is a new conncetion and should i allow it into the trusted zone. The IP number starts 192.*** etc.
My wife switched on the computer this morning and ZA stated New Network found, but the IP address started 169.*** etc. From memory this seemed odd so I opted to keep it in the internet zone. Since then I have been unable to get on line. I tried IPCONFIG and got the 169.*** etc address up so a little confused I tried a system restoer to the 16th and ZA came up wityh the same question and IP address.
A little additional info, yeseterday I picked up a virus from a site about cocktails - you've been warned! Zone alarm successfully quaranteened - cause or co-incidence.
I am now a little paranoid and do not know if 168.*** etc is OK and my memory is faulty or can a virus shange an IP address>>>>>>>>>>>>>>////???

keewaa 16:42 18 Feb 2006

169.254. is used when the PC can't access DHCP and get a proper IP. You say the internet cable is lose ... which cable, is it from PC to a router? If so i would say this lose cable is the problem ... bin it and get a new one.

Of course the fact you got a virus may also be the cause but I'd say the lose cable was prime suspect.

markcomp 19:08 18 Feb 2006

Problem solved, altho' I needed to change the router port i was using. So maybe a problem there or I just disturbed the connection. thanks also for the tip re 169.254 IP address
Cheers
Mark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?