ION USB Turntable Tips please.

haricot 11:35 29 Oct 2007

If anyone has got one of these can you tell me please:-

1 Does not being able to start and stop recording from the Turntable cause any problems. Why is this do you think and is it easy to do.

2 The fact that the software to remove hisses and crackles is only a Demo (apparently) does this mean that you can't use it to do that job and have to buy a full version or something, separately.

Finally "whybuynew" a site on the web sells these for £69.95 (as new). Do you reckon it is worth taking a chance or paying a bit more to make sure

Stuartli 13:13 29 Oct 2007

Audacity will probably serve your requirements:

click here

or Nero has filtering etc available.

If you can get the ION for £70 in good condition then you'll save at least £30 - I suspect that once people have transferred all their vinyl to CDs they will not have much use for the turntable, especially if they have a standard one already.

haricot 13:52 29 Oct 2007

Hi Stuartli, Thanks for coming back so soon.

Having thought a bit more about this, I have just remembered that I have an old but working Yamaha Amp upstairs that I used to use with my old Hifi set up.

Could I not use that with my current AR Turntable which I have in my current HiFi gear.and which is top class performance wise.

If so , can you or anyone else tell me what leads I need to join em all up ie I would download Audacity to use with it. But I am not very good technically to know how to set this kind of thing up.

BY the way , what audacity is best : 1.2.6 or 1.3.3
and are they both easy to use.

DieSse 14:42 29 Oct 2007

"Could I not use that with my current AR Turntable which I have in my current HiFi gear.and which is top class performance wise."

Yes you can - probably.

You need a cable from a Line-out socket on the amp, to the line-in socket on your sound card.

The soundcard socket will almost certainly be a mini-stereo jackplug (like those found computer speakers).

The amp - you'll have to look at - though most of them, if they've got line-out, use phoo (sometimes caleed RCA) plugs.

Then get a cable from a local shop with the appropriate ends.

DieSse 14:43 29 Oct 2007

phoo (phoo indeed!) = phono

haricot 15:12 29 Oct 2007

Thanks DieSse

But as I said earlier, I am useless at this lark , not having done anything like it B4.

I presume a cable joins my own record deck to something..is that the amp or the computer ?

Can you spell it out for me ie stage by stage . Where does it start and what joins what with what .

Sorry about this but I am a touch naive about matters technical.

Any answers about audacity?

haricot 15:12 29 Oct 2007

Thanks DieSse

But as I said earlier, I am useless at this lark , not having done anything like it B4.

I presume a cable joins my own record deck to something..is that the amp or the computer ?

Can you spell it out for me ie stage by stage . Where does it start and what joins what with what .

Sorry about this but I am a touch naive about matters technical.

Any answers about audacity?

Stuartli 16:34 29 Oct 2007

See Section 3-12 at this very useful website:

click here

DieSse has given the basic details (I presume by mini-stereo jack plugs he/she means 3.5mm jack plugs, which are the most commonly used).

DieSse 16:40 29 Oct 2007

Record Deck to amp - as it would usually be connected for playing records, and as you always had it connected.

Amp to computer - as I explained earlier - this is the cable you would need to buy.

Don't try and make it more complicated - it really isn't.

Sorry - but I know nothing about Audacity.

haricot 08:46 30 Oct 2007

Thank you very much Stuartli and DieSse for your responses.

I really am grateful and will have a crack at this now.

Thanks again.

keef66 13:45 30 Oct 2007

record deck to amp, it's usually 2 phono leads coming from the deck and going to the line in sockets on the amp.(and possibly an earth lead)

Amp to pc sound card you need a lead with 2 phono plugs on one end (which you connect to the line out sockets on the amp) and a 3.5mm stereo jack on the other end (which you connect to the line in socket on the soundcard)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?