iomega USB 2 desktop hard drive

zarobian 11:19 01 Jan 2008

Happy New year to all the forum members

I am using Hard Disc USB caddy for my backups. I create a full image of my hard drive using acronis 10. Every thing is fine so for.

I recently purchased iomega Desktop Hard Drive Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7200 RPM with 320GB capacity.
I partitioned this drive and formatted NTFS using Partition Magic 8. I created an image of my desktop XP system on one partition and an image of my laptop (core 2) Vista home premium on the other partition.

When I read back the relative partitions and try to open an individual folder I get “windows explorer has encountered a problem, click OK to close.”
This is happening on both Vista and XP systems!!!
I recreated the images but no joy.
To investigate further I copied a file to one of the partition and read it back. No problem there!!!

My caddy does not pose this kind of problem. Am I missing some thing here? Please help if you can. Thanks.

DieSse 11:42 01 Jan 2008

There is no need to partition the drive to make two images. An image is just a file (a large one!)

Images are.tib files - you simply call them different names when you create them.

"When I read back the relative partitions and try to open an individual folder...."

I don't understand this - an image is just a file, the only folders are compressed inside the file.

You can't "read back" a partition - what exactly do you mean?

zarobian 12:54 01 Jan 2008

Thanks for your response. Keepng in view the acronis descripton where they say that you can restore indivdual fils also. I just tried experimenting and I get the message which generates error code oxc000005. This error code is a generic one. Could be any thing. Any how after my first post this mornng I created a new image of my XP Sys on caddy for safty and then restore the image from my iomega XP partion created yesterday. Bengo it worked out fine.That is the main thng.

The reason for partitioning is that apart from two seperate images I shall use the free space on each partition for small backups. It is just to avoide confusion which file belong to which system.
The diference between my caddy and iomega is that one is 5200rpm and the other 7200. I am not sure that will make any difference.
I just wonder why the said problem does not occur using caddy?

DieSse 13:32 01 Jan 2008

"The diference between my caddy and iomega is that one is 5200rpm and the other 7200. I am not sure that will make any difference."

It will make no difference whatsoever.

To restore individual files, you normally have to "mount" an image - which then appears in Explorer as a temporary virtual drive, and should show the folder and file structure inside the image, as if it were a real drive. (at least that's how it works in my version of Acronis).

Does it do that?

zarobian 13:50 01 Jan 2008

I just tied that. Yes that is the solution.
Thanks for your help.
'Z'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?