Iomega Portable Hard Drive

harleyd 14:44 25 Oct 2008

I've inherited from my recently deceased father a Iomega 100gb external portable hard drive which I've now fitted to my PC. It seems to be functioning OK but when I drag/drop a file/folder it appears as a line description not a folder type icon. I've also noticed that the Iomega is FAT 32 & my C-drive is NTFS, is this a problem? also it indicates total size of 93.1gb, free space of 90.7gb. I therefore suspect that some information is still held on it and ideally I'd like to access that. Any help would be appreciated as I've already looked at the Iomega site but fould it somewhat daunting for an old codger like me. Many thanks

harleyd 11:09 26 Oct 2008

Hello, Anyone able to help?

Newuser38 13:33 26 Oct 2008

To change line to icon go into MyComputer, identify the drive and click on it, then in the top bar click on view and you can choose list or icon by clicking on the view you would prefer.

If you right click on the drive, again in My Computer, and then click on explore you will see the contents listed.

Not a problem, in my view that one drive is NFTS and the other FAT32.

mocha 13:47 26 Oct 2008

Hi harleyd,

In windows explorer when you are viewing the external hard drive goto 'MENUS', 'VIEW' and click on 'ICONS', this will then show as icons rather than 'details'.

Most External hard drives come formatted as FAT 32 you could alway's change this if you wished. Your computer will read and write to both NTFS and FAT 32 so there is no problem, although on a FAT 32 drive I believe the maximum size of a file is 4GB so if you are thinking of saving files larger than this you should convert to NTFS.

researcher 17:51 27 Oct 2008

I've got an Iomega(80Gb) external drive and reformated it to NTFS. Its quick and simple to do. However, if anything is on the disc it will 'wipe that as well so copy to PC first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?