Iomega NAs and d link wireless router

wobbler 13:09 23 Apr 2010

Due to a fault i have swapped my belkin wireless router to a d link. Previously i had my iomega 320gb drive plugged into the ethernet port on the belkin and all was ok. However now the iomega cant be accessed thro the d link router. I have re in stalled the iomega software and when i run the home detection the drive is listed but when i try to mount it I get en error "subnets differ connection failed" Now im stuck!! Running Vista.

mgmcc 13:41 23 Apr 2010

The drive would originally have been configured to operate in the Belkin router's Subnet, i.e. it would have a 192.168.2.x IP address. Your new D-Link router will have either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 as its IP address, so the third "octet" (number) of your drive's IP address needs to be changed from "2" to match that of the router ("0" or "1").

wobbler 14:33 23 Apr 2010

Any idea how to do that since when I plug the drive into the PC's usb slot all i see is the data on it.

mgmcc 19:48 23 Apr 2010

If it is an NAS drive, it must have an IP address when connected to the network and, presumably, the drive has a facility for configuring its settings. I've never actually used a Network Attached Storage device.

If there isn't s simple way to change or configure its IP address, you could change the D-Link router's own IP address to 192.168.2.1 and it would then operate in the same Subnet that the Belkin used, allocating IP addresses in the range 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.254

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?