Iomega Home Network drive USB or LAN

piglet22 18:24 30 Oct 2009

I have an Iomega Home Network 500-Gb drive (not Media drive)with USB and LAN.

I initially set the drive up with USB as my wired network was not ready at the time.

The CAT5e wired network is now running and I would like to move the Iomega to a secure location for backing up files etc.

The are already backup and restore files on it courtesy of Vista Backup and Restore Centre.

Does anyone know if it is straightforward (and how) to change from USB to Network (or vice versa if necesssary), and will the stored files be unaffected?

Thank you

T0SH 15:51 31 Oct 2009

They are files on a hard drive the interface used to get them there makes no difference

Cheers HC

mgmcc 16:31 31 Oct 2009

Changing from USB to a LAN connection should be fairly straightforward. Unplug the USB cable and plug it into one of the router's LAN ports. The one thing you might have to deal with is IP addressing for the drive once connected to the network, although it may get an address automatically by DHCP from the router.

You might also need to configure the Firewall software in any computers accessing the drive, so that its IP address is allowed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?