IOMEGA EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

Jadee 22:39 08 Nov 2009

I have a 1TB iomega external hard drive which I can't access the drive when conected to computer I have bought a new external hard drive Case to try it in but it still will not recognise it When I put it in it comes up saying it has found new hardware and says it is installed and ready to use but will not allocate a drive letter for it Ie(drive C)It is showing under USB's It is showing external hard drive location 0 but we don't know if it is a letter or number Can anybody help me how to add a new drive letter in computer We have been into Device manager and still can't find a drive Any help will be gratefully received as we are silver surfers and don't know much about how computers work and all the jargon

howard64 09:49 09 Nov 2009

try double going to control panel - administratgive tools - computer management - storage and use either disk management and removable storage. With luck you can then click on your external drive and all will be well.

Jadee 20:10 09 Nov 2009

Thankyou Howard64 for your reply
We have tried your sugestions but it still did not work Is there a plan B that we could try as it has enlightened us towards computer workings
Thank you again

gazzaho 03:20 10 Nov 2009

Your drive may need formatting before you can use it, try reading this web page and see if it helps any (click here) I'm unsure what you mean by buying a new hard drive case to try it in, did you remove the drive from the Iomega case and fit it into another one?

One thing I must stress when using Disk Management is do not attempt anything on the C: drive, the one displayed with diagonal lines running through it, if you're not sure what you're doing you could stop you computer from working.

howard64 17:38 10 Nov 2009

could you give the model name and no. of the drive so we can see what you actually have!

Jadee 21:36 11 Nov 2009

It is a new external hard drive I have had it about 6 months and it is still under gurantee but don't want to take it back to the shop as I have some personel data I want to remove before I take it back
Iomega hard drive 1TB
Model No LDHD-UP
P/N 31758600
S/N 97AW232A2C
Hope this helps as these are the numbers on box
Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?