iomega backup question

charlton200 20:06 17 Jul 2007

HI
I have just bought an external hard drive (iomega)

It seem not to have a backup program that does things automatically. Is there a program i can use or do i have to do it manually.

Thanks.

FreeCell 20:24 17 Jul 2007

There is loads of software you cab get to back up your system for you.
Have a look at this list click here

Some is shareware and sone free. I use SynBackSE (the shareware version) but there is a free version with a more limited functionality.

One thing to decide is whether you want to backup an image of your whole system disc so you can recover the system back to a known point and/or backup system files that you can recover any file individually. You'll find both types available in the list.

Andy1991 20:27 17 Jul 2007

try MS back up, this is a program that comes with windows XP Professional, but addable for XP Home edition by the XP CD. Look for the Valueadd folder on ur XP CD to install it for Home edition. When installed go to START > All programs > Accessories > System tools > "Back up".

Then follow the instructions, there should be a schedule but in there where u can set a schedule to auto back up.

charlton200 20:29 17 Jul 2007

That a nice long list . Thanks- should be something there for me.

charlton200 22:09 17 Jul 2007

Would the Microsoft back up be onthe disc that the computer company gave me (mesh) the restore disc.

Miros 22:33 17 Jul 2007

Go to start / Programmes/Accessories/System tools/ and system backup should be there. It is in mine.

Miros 22:38 17 Jul 2007

Sorry Andy1991 has already given that info.
I have XP pro by the way, so don't know about XP Home, take guidance from Andy on that one he seems to know what he is talking about

FreeCell 19:00 18 Jul 2007

charlton200

You may find the MS backup program is called NTbackup.

Also look out on the free CDs given away by computer magazines as they often have backup programs on that you can use.

charlton200 19:04 18 Jul 2007

Thanks, i did find the microsoft one today.

Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?