invisble sata drive

tomo6438 16:55 20 Mar 2006

have installed a second western digital sata 200GB hdd exact same model as the master but even though it appears in the device manager after boot up, it fails to appear in 'my comp' and so seems inaccesible. i have tried raid but would prefer to keep them separate on a basic setup. any suggestions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:10 20 Mar 2006

The drive will need to be formatted in Disk manager before it will appear in My computer.

Marsh Warden © ™ 17:13 20 Mar 2006

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think you have to set one or more SATA drive to a raid configuration, albeit to JBOD (just a bunch of disks), this allows the drives to be recognised.

As stated I'm not sure, and would be ahppy to be corrected if wrong.

cycoze 17:23 20 Mar 2006

As per Fruit Bat /\0/\, Open `Computer Management` and select `Disk Management`, initialize the drive then partition it if required, next Format the drive and assign a drive letter, finally initiate the changes, all done.

tomo6438 17:49 20 Mar 2006

problem solved. thanks guys, it seems very simple now, though i have never used computer management before. always worked with pre-formated drives in the past i guess.

the raid issue is not something that i'm completely up with but i did find out that you don't have to necessarily use it. two lessons learn't.

i found that you can either use raid or run them as individual drives. you may be correct in some way but disk management solved this problem. thanks again everyone!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?