Invalid system disk

Charlie Babbage 11:43 19 Oct 2006

Help please!!

I'm trying to do a clean reinstall of Windows XP on a friend's computer. Foolishly, I've reformatted the C: drive but when I try to reboot the Win XP CD-ROM I get the error message 'Invalid system disk'

The computer was supplied by Dell in about 2001, model unknown but it is a tower. Although I have reformatted the C: drive, when computer is first switched on it still shows 'Dell' on the screen. Does this information come from an on board chip? I can't get into BIOS - I've tried tapping F1, F8, F12 and Del immediatley after first swtch on but none of these seem to do the trick!

Any assistance given would be much appreciated

RobCharles1981 11:45 19 Oct 2006

Might sound a bit daft - you havent got a floopy disk in the drive have you ??

VoG II 11:45 19 Oct 2006

Some other keys to try click here

See also click here

Strawballs 12:26 19 Oct 2006

I don't know to much about Dell but is the disc supplied one of those that use the hidden partion rather than having the full version of windows on it and as you formatted the hard drive you might have lost that information.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:56 19 Oct 2006

when I try to reboot the Win XP CD-ROM I get the error message 'Invalid system disk'

Obviously you are still accessing the C drive with no op system BEFORE the CD drive.

As you switch on the PC there will be a message "Press ? to enter setup" where? is the key to get into the BIOS.

Set the CD drive as the first boot device and remember to save and exit.

The dell logo is set in BIOS you can switch it off in the BIOS settings.

Charlie Babbage 17:05 19 Oct 2006

... I've now been able to successfully boot Win XP!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?