invalid system disc

alltime 13:01 06 Jan 2007

This is driving me mad? Ive formatted the hard drive in the laptop, put in a new cd/dvd rw, used a windows millenium floppy boot disc to set up the drives, Changed the bios boot from 1st floppy to 1st cd rom, second hd, third floppy, 4th lan, although the cd drive was recognised when i used the floppy as F drive and the diognostic tools were loaded to E drive, When the computer starts it doesnt recognise the Cd drive although the light comes on , the disc spins, the draw comes in and out, but i keep getting the error , invalid system disc. The primary master comes up as the hd, but the secondary master always said NONE. HELP PLEASE

Technotiger 13:07 06 Jan 2007

Hi, are the Jumpers on the back of the drives set correctly?

alltime 14:21 06 Jan 2007

Tried different jumper settings, (cable select etc etc) still get the same error, as i cant get the bios to recognise the secondary drive as the cd drive , Could the bios be corrupt? also i notice that when it starts up it said bios shadowed, What can this mean ?

Technotiger 14:26 06 Jan 2007

BIOS Shadow ...

click here

Technotiger 14:31 06 Jan 2007

Just noticed your order of boot-up..

to Boot, 1st should be HD, then 2nd CD ROM, 3rd Floppy, etc

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:45 06 Jan 2007

Set first boot as CD second as HD all others as none.

start with CD in drive will it recognise the CD you should then be able to install.

If you are trying to install ME? not all ME CDs are bootable so:

Ist boot floppy second HDD all others as none.

Boot from Me instal floppy with CD support.

run setup from CD drive remember drive letter is pushed on by 1 letter as toole are install from floppy to a ram drive ie CD was D now become E

alltime 23:33 06 Jan 2007

Thanks Guys for all your advise. The reason i used the millenium boot floppy is because i couldnt get the xp cd to boot from the cd drive although set to 1st boot devise. The hd is ok as i took it out and installed xp on it on my old laptop and then formatted it. I have tried 2 different good cd drives and non of them will boot the xp disc. they just run up and peter out. Ive set the bios to 1st floppy, 2nd hd, 3rd cd, booting from the floppy. and 1st cd 2nd hd, 3rd floppy, booting from the cd but when the computer starts up it only recognises the hd as devises and NONE for the secondary devise. This is why i think it wont boot from the cd drive. Could it be that i need the manufactures recovery disc, as the bios does not recognise anything accept the hd?

alltime 23:43 06 Jan 2007

Also could it be when the laptop was built that the operating system was put on the drive before it was fitted, and then the driver installed for the notebook. The bios is some Insyde rubbish the worst ive ever seen on a computer. Could it have some kind of overlay? Could it be corrupt? these are possibilities going through my mind.
Your thoughts please.

User-312386 23:48 06 Jan 2007

Does it say Windows ME on the disc or does it say Recovery disc.

Sounds like you have a "restore to factory settings" disc there

alltime 23:51 06 Jan 2007

Or could it be that the manufactures (Hi-Grade) Recovery disc is the only thing that will work to recover the system?

alltime 23:52 06 Jan 2007

Im using the standard windows XP home Disc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?