Invalid system disc

Andrew-C 13:57 20 Jan 2005

I think I've done something stupid.

Having got a 2nd hand laptop from a freind I wanted to format it. Having read on the always to be trusted internet I typed in format c: into dos and it duly did that. However when I restarted the computer it comes up with the error message

Invalid system disk
Replace the disk, and then press any key

I've tried inserting the boot floppy for win 98 and win 2000, also the cd for these OSs

Is there anything I can do to resuscitate the computer?

thanks
andrew

Cook2 13:59 20 Jan 2005

Have you set the floppy as First Boot Device?

Otherwise it will try to run from the HD.

Andrew-C 14:00 20 Jan 2005

how do i do that. As soon as i turn the comp on it flashes up the error message...

ACOLYTE 14:01 20 Jan 2005

It will say that now because there is no OS on there you now need to reinstall the OS,depending on what OS you are installing you need to boot from the cd or a floppy.You need to get in to the bios and select the boot drive either cd/floppy.Restart and leave either cd or floppy in there drive and it should boot from there.

Chezdez 14:02 20 Jan 2005

press delete as the system boots, you'll get taken into the BIOS, and you can change it from there to floppy

Andrew-C 14:04 20 Jan 2005

ok, seem to have managed to bodge my way to get it to load from the floppy

thanks

ventanas 14:04 20 Jan 2005

You need to get into the bios. The computer should say press del; F2 or some other key to enter setup, before you get the other message. Once in there you need to find the boot order options, wherever they are, and change them so the floppy drive is first.

Graham ® 14:04 20 Jan 2005

You will need the restore CD that came with the laptop. There may be a key combination if there is a recovery facility on the hard drive, something like pressing '1' when booting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?