invalid long filename entry

arrow 13:19 05 Jul 2006

I am running Windows ME on a 2001 Evesham 1.4 Ghz 60 GB desktop. Since May 2005 I have been unable to instal Windows updates (now 9 behind), and frequently get disc boot failures, when I press the restart button. I then get a blue window headed Incorrect Shutdown and it proceeds to a ScanDisc which stops at 59-62% with the following message - "ScanDisc detected an invalid long filename entry on this drive but was unable to fix it. To fix this problem, run Scandisc for Windows. O.K." I then press enter and bootup proceeds normally. I run Norton internet security and Counterspy, and update and scan with both daily. Is this filename the cause of the above problems, and what should I do to get rid of it? Please help a dinosaur.

Terry Brown 14:48 05 Jul 2006

On winme (as with XP), a file name can be up to 255 characters long, which would suggest you have a web link on your system with a long address line. Check your links (and cookies)as this is possibly the problem.

Terry

arrow 16:00 05 Jul 2006

Thank you Terry for your reply. Please forgive my ignorance, but how do I do as you suggest?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:15 05 Jul 2006

http ://click here

As you can see the address for this page contains a lot of characters, Terry Brown is saying to check the addresses in your favourites folder (using explorer) and to clear out your cookies and temporary internet files incase one is longer than 255 characters.

Temporary File Cleaners:-
Crap Cleaner click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?