Invalid dynamic link to a DLL file

Ash1 21:47 19 Mar 2003

I have a word-processing package in a foreign language which was working fine until a few days ago. Now, each time I try to load this programme I get a message reading:

Your program is making an invalid dynamic link call to a .DLL file.

I tried to delete the entire folder (Uninstall is not available) and re-load the programme, but the above message continues and programme will abort.

System: Pentium 4, Windows 98 Second Edition, Office 97, Outlook Express, Internet Explorer.
I will appreciate help in tracking and solving this problem. Thanks in advance.
Arshad

MAJ 21:53 19 Mar 2003

To have a chance of solving the problem, Ash1, we would need to know the name of the program and possibly the dll involved. If it was working a few days ago, you could also try a registry restore to see if that would help.

Ash1 23:25 19 Mar 2003

Thanks for your responce.
Programme is called InPage which is a WP package for Urdu language.
I have no idea how to work out which DLL is involved.
How could I restore registry from a few days ago? sorry to be such a novice but that's how it stands at the moment.

MAJ 23:46 19 Mar 2003

If it doesn't give the name of the dll, it would be difficult to find out which one is causing the problem, Ash1. The Restore might work. Windows keeps a number of dated backups of the registry which can be restored, a lot of the time this will fix problems. To restore a backup, shutdown your computer in the normal way. Then restart your computer while holding down the Ctrl key on your keyboard. When the Windows Startup Menu appears, lift your finger off the Ctrl key. You will see a number of options, one of which is "Command Prompt Only", option 5, If I remember correctly. Choose that option and hit the Return key. When the command prompt appears (C:\>), type Scanreg /restore, it will look like this:

C:\>scanreg /restore

and hit the return key. You will now be presented with four or five dated restore files. Using the up and down arrow keys on your keyboard, choose one dated prior to the problem occurring and restore it. While in here you'll notice that your mouse wont work so you'll have to navigate using the up and down arrow keys and use the return key to execute your choices.

Ash1 23:52 19 Mar 2003

Thanks, I'll begin on this one in the morning now and let you know the outcome of that.

Ash1 10:12 20 Mar 2003

Maj, did that. Followed option 5 "Command Prompt only" and then Scanreg/restore which gives me last four days, but this problem is older than 4 days (maybe 7/8 days) . So, I did not restore the registry because I think it would not bring me back to the point just before the problem started.

Any other suggestions, Maj?

Ash1

MAJ 10:54 20 Mar 2003

Just two more suggestions that I can think of at the moment, Ash1.

The First: If it's a System dll that's causing the problem, maybe corrupt for example, then running the System File Checker will replace the corrupt file. To run System File Checker, go to Start > Run and type in SFC and hit OK, that will scan your system for corrupt files and offer you the option to replace them.

The second: Contact the manufacturers of the software, see if they have a fix for the problem. click here

Ash1 11:17 20 Mar 2003

Maj, SFC found nothing wrong.

Will try software manufacturer. Thanks for the link and for your valueable help.

Ash1

MAJ 11:25 20 Mar 2003

No trouble, Ash1, I hope you get it sorted or someone more capable than me can think of something else.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?