Invalid Boot.ini file

anchor 14:15 16 Mar 2004

I have just recently noticed that on boot up, I get the following message: "Invalid Boot.ini file, booting from C:\windows". I use Windows-XP Pro, with SP-1.

The PC then proceeds to boot-up normally, and I have no problems. I have searched for this file, but cannot find it.

I did find a month old file named "boot.ini.backup" in C:windows\pss. Where should this be restored to?.

Should I be concerned about the message, and what can I do to correct it?. System restore did not make any difference. Naturally, I would like to get things back to normal.

Big Elf 14:18 16 Mar 2004

boot.ini is in c:\ but it's a hidden file.

Big Elf 14:19 16 Mar 2004

This might help click here

Diodorus Siculus 14:21 16 Mar 2004

boot.ini should be a hidden file in the root of your boot drive, most likely C drive. Check that you have the "view all files" option on in the folders options, and you should see it theref.

temp003 14:28 16 Mar 2004

It's likely you've somehow lost the original c:\boot.ini file.

Run msconfig and see if there's a boot.ini tab. If there isn't, it's missing.

Make a copy of the boot.ini.backup file you found, put it under c:\, and rename it boot.ini (remember to enable file extensions to be shown).

Then check msconfig, the boot.ini tab should come back.

anchor 14:40 16 Mar 2004

Bravo temp003: I followed your advice, and the problem solved. Yes, the boot.ini tab is now back and the PC boots normally.

Heaven knows how the file became deleted; I certainly did not do it.

Thanks a lot!!.

anchor 14:45 16 Mar 2004

Thanks to Big Elf and Diodorus Siculus for offering their help too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?