intruding computer logged into my router

rfred 14:34 13 Sep 2006

I have a Belkin ADSL Modem with Built-In Wireless Router. I have just discovered another computer on its' LAN/DHCP List.
It gives an IP address, a Host Name and a MAC Address.
How can I remove this intruding computer from my network?
Or how can I permamently block him from using my router?

fredH

ade.h 14:39 13 Sep 2006

How about securing your router???? click here and follow my advice. please bear in mind my comment at the top about variations in interface layout, but I'm sure that you will be able to work out any differences.

rfred 15:10 13 Sep 2006

I have done all I can to secure my network but how do i know if the computer that was logged into my network before these configurations is unable to use my router as he still appears on my DHCP Client list.

FredH

ade.h 15:16 13 Sep 2006

It will still appear on the list and always will. Belkin's DHCP Client list shows present and previous clients. It leaves it up to you to ascertain whether that client is currently connected.

ade.h 15:19 13 Sep 2006

Check the "Block Computer" checkbox if you want to, but I wouldn't worry about it if your security is up to the standard prescribed on my website.

rsinbad 20:49 13 Sep 2006

as ade.h says if your security is up to scratch you shouldn't get any intruders. If you are still concerned about intruders, then download air snare. a free utillity which will instantly alert you of an unauthourised access.
click here

rfred 12:10 14 Sep 2006

How do know if the other computer is or is not connected?

thanks for all the help, it is just the above, how do I know? that keeps on nagging,

FredH

ade.h 14:42 14 Sep 2006

Check your MAC filtering list, change the PSK and the login password. You should perform the last two steps occasionally anyway.

rsinbad 16:52 14 Sep 2006

like i said if it really bothers you download air snare.
||When it starts it will pick up all mac addresses with a balloon and audible voice saying unauthorised access detected.

Mark all your mac addresses as freindly ie your router and anyone on your network. It runs in the background you will get an imediate warning should an outsider try and access your network.

Having said that its never picked up anything except when i tested it with someone elses laptop and yes got an imediate audible warning of an intruder.

rfred 20:30 14 Sep 2006

Problem resolved! I hope!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?