Introducing Archer C9 to my network... Help!

johnmc152k 18:04 21 May 2015

Hey guys

Thank you for having me on your forum, sorry my introduction post is an 'ask'

I have a rented apartment with one wifi router shared between the several tenants, it's a nasty device provided by the internet company and just isn't doing the job I require it for / doesn't leave me feeling secure having an open network with everyone else I live with.

I have bitten the bullet and purchased the TP-Link Archer C9 Wireless Router, it looks amazing! Obviously I purchased this out of my own pocket and don't really want to share this device with the other housemates as the main aim was to give myself some added security. I have had the landlord's permission to setup the network however I like as long as I don't permanently disrupt the other housemates wireless network on the current router.

Our current setup is MODEM > TALKTALK ROUTER >>> several users

Ideally i'd like to setup MODEM > ARCHER C9 > ethernet cable link > TALKTALK ROUTER or

MODEM > SWITCH > [ ARCHER C9 / TALKTALK ROUTER (2 channels, 1 & 2 with Cat6 runs to each)

End result being, leaving a router for my use, with my own secure login and the current (separate) router for the rest of the housemates, still with their usual login. The other housemates purely use the network for internet only, playstations etc where as I need my network for a more work based purposes.

is this achievable? Can I do it by simply plugging in, almost as an electrical circuit? Someone mentioned setting up a bridge on the old router?

Any help / advice is greatly appreciated

John

Addition - I believe the TalkTalk router is either 'Huawei HG533' or an 'D-Link DSL-3780'

Jollyjohn 12:45 23 May 2015

Hi

Not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve but you could plug any wireless router into the Talk Talk router and have your own wifi network and passkey - for example click here -this shows how to use an old bt hub as a switch / extender.

The Talk Talk router, as with all modern routers, uses NAT - Network address translation - this means incoming traffic is directed to the device that requested it and any random, unrequested, traffic is blocked. That means no one can remotely access your PC, without your co operation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone