Interpret Exception messages Win 98

cosh 18:33 16 Sep 2007

How does one interpret "exception 0E" messages?
After trying unsuccessfuly to set up a home network between two PC's -one on Win98SE the other on XP-connected via ethernet cable through a Belkin modem router I have started to get problems on the Win98SE PC at start up , shut down particularly and often whilst working on some application and even when the PC is idle.

Both PC's will connect to the internet (broadband) through the Belkin OK

On start up and shut down the Win98 PC sometimes freezes with no message and I need to resort to the "reset" button and it then usually restarts OK and behaves itself for a while.
The other problem I get is that at random times I get the following message

"An exception 0E has occured at 0028:C1593B6F in VxD VNBT(01) + 000011DF. This was called
from 0028:C001C3D4 in VxD NDIS(01) + 00004860. It may be possible to continue normally.
Press any key to attempt to continue. ....etc"

The message is always the same except for the 1593B6F which changes --it always starts with the "C"

By pressing a key I can can continue normally except for the internet= it will not connect to the internet without shutting down and restarting.

Is there a web site which explains exception errors- I've trawled the PCA forum but not found anything to explain my problem.

Any useful comments would be appreciated.

woodchip 18:43 16 Sep 2007

Don't know what you have done, but this is how I connected a Win98se Desktop and a XP desktop and a XP laptop. Turn on all the computers and any printers you want to share. Then go into the XP computer go to Control Panel go to Network setup Wizard fill it in as it asks then create a boot floppy to use on the 98se comp the computers should be able to connect to the router before you try the above, take the floppy put it in the 98se comp double click the one file on the floppy disc. they should now work. But you have to go into Windows Explorer and right click things you want to share and set for sharing

cosh 18:57 16 Sep 2007

Before I had broadband I did as you said, Woodchip, and succesfully linked the two PC's. I had them joined directly by ethernet cable.

Now I have broadband and each PC is is connected to a Belkin router via its own ethernet cable and repeated the above exercise but they will not recognise each other yet each will go on the internet.

However thanks for your comment.

cosh 18:58 16 Sep 2007

Before I had broadband I did as you said, Woodchip, and succesfully linked the two PC's. I had them joined directly by ethernet cable.

Now I have broadband and each PC is is connected to a Belkin router via its own ethernet cable and repeated the above exercise but they will not recognise each other yet each will go on the internet.

However thanks for your comment.

woodchip 21:03 16 Sep 2007

Did you have everything switched on when you did it?

brundle 21:22 16 Sep 2007

Your 98 PC has a problem with NetBIOS. Remove all networking protocols except TCP/IP, reboot, use System File Checker click here, then set up your network again (and probably reboot once more, 98 never missed an opportunity to ask for a reboot).

woodchip 21:31 16 Sep 2007

Yep that's a point forgot that one, as I don't seem to have to fix mine very offt as it just works

cosh 14:00 24 Jan 2008

I have at last resolved the problem by removing F-Secure security system from the windows 98 machine. The XP has A Squared security. That is not to say that F-Secure is a culprit more likely I did not apply an appropriate setting. However with F-Secure loaded the machine was slow and even at idle System Monitor shewed 100% Processor usage --it is 5% now without F-Secure loaded.
I'm not swithching the Win 98 machine on when on the internet--only using the XP.
This allows the win 98 to start and run much faster.
Has anyone got any information on the relative merits of A-Squared and F-Secure?

Thanks everyone for your help in the past --the delay in my response has been holidays and all the fiddling I've been doing on the PC's including reformating and reloading.

woodchip 15:57 24 Jan 2008

On mine I have lost ability to print from Wireless Laptop XP to Desktop 98se

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?