Internet without landline

miss sb 10:43 05 Sep 2006

I don't have a landline and don't want one. However, I would like to use the internet at home - any way of using a wireless connection to do this?

rawprawn 10:47 05 Sep 2006

The only way I know is via sattelite dish which is expensive. Usually houses in outlying areas club together to ease the cost.

SANTOS7 10:50 05 Sep 2006

GPRS through your moblie phone (if supported) i would imagine its expensive tho..

JayDay 11:46 05 Sep 2006

Any other solution will be far more expensive than just paying line rental to BT.

silverous 11:51 05 Sep 2006

Agree with JayDay. Alternatively, do you know anyone (very) nearby who has wireless? They might be prepared to share it...at some cost to you...but then you'd probably need better kit than 'normal' wireless, so the cost would be more.

What's wrong with a landline?

Either that or cable internet if you can get it in your area.

Satellite is expensive - I looked into it.

silverous 11:51 05 Sep 2006

3g card is the other option, particularly if you have a laptop.

miss sb 13:13 05 Sep 2006

My partner and I both have mobile phones and don't really use the phone much anyway, so if there was a way of getting around the problem, we would do it. What's a 3G card?

silverous 13:21 05 Sep 2006

Like this:

click here

All the providers do them. Vodafone has lately launched "3D Broadband" as it calls it, which is even quicker. If you got the right tarriff, and didn't use it too much, it might not be so bad. Make sure there is coverage in your area.

The alternative, as mentioned above, is to use a mobile phone. Your mobile might even be 3G in which case it would be pretty quick. Again, best to make sure you aren't paying silly money by getting on the right tarriff with a certain amount of data included, and probably not right for relatively heavy usage.

zincy 13:39 05 Sep 2006

well not exactly wireless,
but how about cable such as NTL or Telewest
they dotn need BT land line

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?