Internet video plays in slow motion

kevinstaffs 19:05 09 May 2010

I am having a recurring problem with playing streaming (or embedded) video in newscasts or youtube. Any video I click on will play normally until the computer has been on for a number of hours and then, quite spontaneously it seems, streaming vidoes I click on start to play in slow motion with no sound. A restart of the system usually solves the problem until the next time.

System specs. Windows 7 64 bit
I7 860 CPU 2.8 GHZ
6 Gb Ram
ATI Radeon HD 4550 video card
Using firefox 3.6.3

Any help or advice appreciated.

ashdav 21:20 09 May 2010

Install latest Flash Players click here click here
Recommend you install them both even if you only use Firefox.

ashdav 21:25 09 May 2010

Sorry posted both links the same.
One of them should have been click here

Audio~~Chip 21:28 09 May 2010

make shure its at least version 6, the newest java version is v6.20

Java from here click here

In control panel if your java is there and a fairly new version then is looks like the little picture as in my link but colour wise pinky not on a red background.

Other things that can cause your problem is broadband speed, data flow having a constant speed is needed and at least 1MB+ you can test Broadband speed at click here do not click on improve your performance links. Click on the nearest server for test and run it about 3 - 5 times over the next few house making a note how many MBps reading you get. Average ping and should be stable is between say 47 - 67 as a guide.

If you are using a temporary telephone extention cable then this is no doubt the source of your problem you need to have a dedicated wall socket fitted and it more be wired from within another wall socket which is not a extention socket. Ideally connected from you Master socket.

One other thing is possible Adware or other infections

Audio~~Chip 21:28 09 May 2010

make shure its at least version 6, the newest java version is v6.20

Java from here click here

In control panel if your java is there and a fairly new version then is looks like the little picture as in my link but colour wise pinky not on a red background.

Other things that can cause your problem is broadband speed, data flow having a constant speed is needed and at least 1MB+ you can test Broadband speed at click here do not click on improve your performance links. Click on the nearest server for test and run it about 3 - 5 times over the next few house making a note how many MBps reading you get. Average ping and should be stable is between say 47 - 67 as a guide.

If you are using a temporary telephone extention cable then this is no doubt the source of your problem you need to have a dedicated wall socket fitted and it more be wired from within another wall socket which is not a extention socket. Ideally connected from you Master socket.

One other thing is possible Adware or other infections

Audio~~Chip 21:30 09 May 2010

add on freebies from Hippo. Go to Adobe.com or google adobe flash player and untick if they offer you Google Toolbar or McAfee virus scan options

rdave13 21:42 09 May 2010

An interesting article; click here
I frequently use Ccleaner to clear temp files, cashes etc.

kevinstaffs 21:02 22 May 2010

I still have not managed to sort this probelm despite the advice so far gratefully received.

i note tonight that after the computer had been on for several hours i could not stream live radio broadcast until I had restarted the computer when it worked fine.

Does anyone have any more suggestions as to a solution please or why streaming video/audion fails afte the computer has been on for some time.

rdave13 21:21 22 May 2010

Suggest a possible problem with your ISP/router.
Next time streaming problems occur try rebooting the router and not the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone