Internet video plays in slow motion

kevinstaffs 19:05 09 May 2010

I am having a recurring problem with playing streaming (or embedded) video in newscasts or youtube. Any video I click on will play normally until the computer has been on for a number of hours and then, quite spontaneously it seems, streaming vidoes I click on start to play in slow motion with no sound. A restart of the system usually solves the problem until the next time.

System specs. Windows 7 64 bit
I7 860 CPU 2.8 GHZ
6 Gb Ram
ATI Radeon HD 4550 video card
Using firefox 3.6.3

Any help or advice appreciated.

ashdav 21:20 09 May 2010

Install latest Flash Players click here click here
Recommend you install them both even if you only use Firefox.

ashdav 21:25 09 May 2010

Sorry posted both links the same.
One of them should have been click here

Audio~~Chip 21:28 09 May 2010

make shure its at least version 6, the newest java version is v6.20

Java from here click here

In control panel if your java is there and a fairly new version then is looks like the little picture as in my link but colour wise pinky not on a red background.

Other things that can cause your problem is broadband speed, data flow having a constant speed is needed and at least 1MB+ you can test Broadband speed at click here do not click on improve your performance links. Click on the nearest server for test and run it about 3 - 5 times over the next few house making a note how many MBps reading you get. Average ping and should be stable is between say 47 - 67 as a guide.

If you are using a temporary telephone extention cable then this is no doubt the source of your problem you need to have a dedicated wall socket fitted and it more be wired from within another wall socket which is not a extention socket. Ideally connected from you Master socket.

One other thing is possible Adware or other infections

Audio~~Chip 21:28 09 May 2010

make shure its at least version 6, the newest java version is v6.20

Java from here click here

In control panel if your java is there and a fairly new version then is looks like the little picture as in my link but colour wise pinky not on a red background.

Other things that can cause your problem is broadband speed, data flow having a constant speed is needed and at least 1MB+ you can test Broadband speed at click here do not click on improve your performance links. Click on the nearest server for test and run it about 3 - 5 times over the next few house making a note how many MBps reading you get. Average ping and should be stable is between say 47 - 67 as a guide.

If you are using a temporary telephone extention cable then this is no doubt the source of your problem you need to have a dedicated wall socket fitted and it more be wired from within another wall socket which is not a extention socket. Ideally connected from you Master socket.

One other thing is possible Adware or other infections

Audio~~Chip 21:30 09 May 2010

add on freebies from Hippo. Go to Adobe.com or google adobe flash player and untick if they offer you Google Toolbar or McAfee virus scan options

rdave13 21:42 09 May 2010

An interesting article; click here
I frequently use Ccleaner to clear temp files, cashes etc.

kevinstaffs 21:02 22 May 2010

I still have not managed to sort this probelm despite the advice so far gratefully received.

i note tonight that after the computer had been on for several hours i could not stream live radio broadcast until I had restarted the computer when it worked fine.

Does anyone have any more suggestions as to a solution please or why streaming video/audion fails afte the computer has been on for some time.

rdave13 21:21 22 May 2010

Suggest a possible problem with your ISP/router.
Next time streaming problems occur try rebooting the router and not the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017