Internet tunneling

User-C4C79601-3CFD-47B8-A5E4D4AA6B4408AD 18:18 27 Oct 2006

I have a belkin wireless (usb) adaptor on my home pc which allows my laptop which has inbuilt wireless to connect to each other. My home pc has broadband, i was wondering if it is possible for my laptop to tunnel through my pc internet connection so that i can use both my pc and my laptop on the internet at the same time, with out having to buy a wireless router.
Both use xp home edition

Ashrich 21:29 27 Oct 2006

Yes , you need to set up a wireless peer to peer network . Go into Network connections on your computer that is connected to the Internet and run the Network Setup Wizard , the run the same on your Laptop , you can get Windows to assign a WEP key ( peer to peer cannot use anything else ) and make a note of it , then run the same Wizard on the laptop , you should be able to see the network wirelessly on each PC , enter the WEP key on the laptop when asked then you should be able to connect to the Internet and , if you turned on file and print sharing , be able to share files as well . Try that and come back here if you run into troubles .

Ashley

it took me a while but i managed to do it. Plus i didnt have to spend £40 on a router.

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?