Internet Trace Cleaners

Bowbells 12:23 29 Sep 2006

My current PC is now over a year old and the famuly have been using the internet most days. The bright young Mesh is getting a little slower and I was thinking about an internet or web trace cleaner to rid the hard disc of the tens of thousands of odd images, files etc that must be cluttering things up. WinClear abd Evidence Exterminator seem to fit the bill but on trying to download either I was faced with a box telling me that I was not Authorised to view that page. I tried to e.mail the producers only to find that OE wouldnt allow me to send an e.mail. Have I put the security of the nation at risk or is there a more simple explanation?

Diodorus Siculus 12:35 29 Sep 2006

Try getting CCleaner from click here and give it a run; it will clear out most things.

Can you send any emails?

VoG II 12:36 29 Sep 2006

I don't know but I recommend CleanUp! click here

xania 12:40 29 Sep 2006

You can get rid of quite a ot of junk without going outside. In IE, <Tools><Internet Options>, check History, and make sure that the number of days (probably the default of 20 days but could be s high as 999 days) is as low as you can get it - now you also clear your current history.

However, I doubt this is the cause of your slow PC. More likely your Hard disk needs defraging.
<Start><Programs><Accesories><System Tools><Disk Defragmenter>.

Confab 12:45 29 Sep 2006

I use both CCleaner and Cleanup! They are free and very good. Would also recommend something like Regseeker from click here to clean your registry, it's also free. Also don't forget to defrag once in a while as xania says.

Confab

Belatucadrus 12:53 29 Sep 2006

Or iIsystem wiper click here

Don't whatever you do get Evidence Eliminator a piece of vastly overpriced scareware.

Bogbrain 12:56 29 Sep 2006

I dread to think of the state of bowbells pc/laptop. It still amazes me how people can be so errm lazy when it comes to all this sort of stuff, despite all the free help and advice available on & offline. I mean, would people let their house get into such a mess as they do their pc's? Ok, don't answer that ..........................

Confab 13:01 29 Sep 2006

We've all go to start somewhere.

Confab

Belatucadrus 13:10 29 Sep 2006

click here CleanCache3.

Bowbells 13:57 29 Sep 2006

Many thanks to all of you who have responded to my querie, even Bogbrain. I must explain that I come from a generation which considered an abacus as cutting edge technology, even so I have in place Ad-Aware Personal and Ashampoo Win Optimizer Platinum for general and daily cleanup. However I am concerned that there may be residual traces of internet activity which is not being picked up and cleaned by these programs. I have looked at all the programs suggested and wonder if they are able to completely destroy all trace of personal or commercial activity. Once again thank you all for your held and suggestions, now I am off for my afternoon lie down.

Belatucadrus 14:21 29 Sep 2006

Most just delete the rubbish, which should be plenty. If however you want something a bit more secure, use CCleaner and when installed go to Options/Settings and select secure deletion, you can then select:- one, three or seven overwrites.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?