Internet "stalling"?

Wanderfly 19:57 29 Oct 2006

Hi all, Does anyone know what causes what I would call connection/progress stalling? ie click on new web page, then get varying results from nothing to a half completed page with "done" shown on the progress line at bottom left of IE page? The connection "TV screens" flash briefly then stop, and give up!
I'm running XP on a computer less than a year old and am connected using a Netgear 834G wireless router, which seems fine. To add to the confusion I'm typing this on my kids desktop (wouldn't show the forum page on main computer) and also have a laptop, neither of which seem to suffer the same problem.
Thanks.

Technotiger 20:16 29 Oct 2006

Hi, when did you last do a little bit of disk maintenance like in IE Tools>InternetOptions> Delete Cookies/ Delete Files. Right click on Desktop to get to Desktop Cleanup Wizard. Run Adaware, RegScrub and empty Recycle bin - all or any of these things could cause the symptons you describe.
No doubt other members will come up with more suggestions.

Cheers

Wanderfly 13:54 31 Oct 2006

Thanks for that, I defrag regularly and use a one button check up through Norton but will try those things too, cheers.

anchor 15:36 31 Oct 2006

I had a similar problem that was quite simply resolved.

Details here:

click here

woodchip 15:57 31 Oct 2006

Turn of Java Scripting in your Browser. It is Adverts

Wanderfly 20:49 31 Oct 2006

Thanks anchor, it's not an unresponsive program as such, I can click refresh the page and the command is carried out instantly. It's just that even on this site it may take 4/5 attempts to get a whole page displayed properly!

Woodchip, in IE Internet options under advanced I can see Java (sun) and a tick box for enable using JRE.....
And just underneath it another heading for Microsoft VM and some Java options, how do disable Java scripting, it doesn't seem to appear here?
Cheers

woodchip 22:54 31 Oct 2006

Not sure on IE just hade a look and it says Java and it as a tick in Jit on my IE. But I use Netscape 7.2 also Netscape 8.1.2 gives more options to control Java.

I think there will be a setting in IE.

Just had another look at IE, click the Security tab then Custom

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017