Internet speed is acting up

Battlefrog10 05:50 31 Dec 2014

Hi, so I generally get horrible download speeds (3-7mbs), but when I disconnect and reconnect the wifi on my PC, the download speed jumps up to a steady 17mbs (which is what I'm paying for) and stays there for a while before coming back down to the usual 3mbs (often not even that) I know wifi rarely gets the same speed as cable, but I'm however able to get that speed with wifi, the question is why doesn't it stay there? Also the speeds are very unstable and I'm experiencing horrible lag on some online games, whereas my brother on the same Wifi has no problem playing the same games. I've run every virus scan known to man with no gives and removed 2gigs worth of internet cache, which solved nothing either. Specs, in case: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processor Windows 8.1 8GB Memory AMD Radeon™ R9 270 with 2GB GDDR5

spuds 11:12 31 Dec 2014

This could be a number of things, from the service being provided by your line, to your router or general set-up being slightly wrong.

You appear to say that you have done the 'usual' clean-up routines, and very little improved. So what I would suggest, is that you check out your ISP support website for further information. If your router was not supplied by your ISP, then check the website of the router manufacturer. Google might also be your friend.

Further to the above, a reset of the router, with speed-tests, before and after, might find something.

The Kestrel 13:29 31 Dec 2014

You could also go into the settings section of your router and try changing the channel that the router is using to transmit the wi-fi.

This article may help click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017