internet sonnection sharing on vista (wired)

DokBlu 14:26 21 Dec 2007

Hello everyone. I have read most of the posts posted before that may relate to this but i still cant get the networking sorted right.

Basically I have an XP Home computer and a Vista laptop. Am using a crossed ethernet cable (i think that is what it is called). So just one cable to connect the two computers. Now on Vista when I go to network I can see my home computer and I can see the laptop but both have unidentified network. On Xp when I view workgroup computers i cant see anything. Though on the taskbar it says for "Local Area Connection" I have Limited o no connectivity.

Now on the laptop I can view and access all the shared folders. I have even opened them and saved them on the laptop. I can even use the printers so the networking seems perfectly fine. Though I cannot access the internet.

I have on both computers changed ip addresses done automatic settings and set similar ip addresses, same gateways, same subnet masks and yet no success. I use a broadband modem on the "host" computer (xp computer). I have enabled the internet connection to be shared by other computers but still nothing.

I think i have covered everything feel free to ask anymore questions for better understanding. Pls do consider in mind am slightly newbie to this ;). Thx all help appreciated.

T0SH 20:20 21 Dec 2007

Are you aware that Vista and XP use different defaut workgroup names, to succesfully network they both need to be set to use the same (case sensitive) workgroup name

Cheers HC

Ashrich 22:28 25 Dec 2007

Another thing to do is to give the 2 PC's there own IP addresses if Internet Connection Sharing isn't turned on in XP , the XP machine can be given the IP of 192.168.0.1 and the Vista laptop given 192.168.0.2 , and the Vista gateway as the XP machine 192.168.0.1 and have them as suggested above , in the same workgroup ( XP defaults to MSHOME )

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?