Internet "sharing" / "broadcasting"

Mshin 18:48 04 Jan 2006

Hi there,

I have a laptop plugged into a broadband connection in the wall. My laptop has a wireless card, and I often use it when I'm not at home. I have a friend that also has a laptop with a wireless card. I was told that he could connect to the internet that my wireless card is "broadcasting". Can anyone help me into setting this up and telling me how I can achieve this, I'm no where near being a proffesional and am a little lost. Cheers

Diodorus Siculus 18:52 04 Jan 2006

The laptop will not be "broadcasting". If you have a wireless router / modem, then that may be transmitting a signal. If so you need to emable some encryption on it - the way to do this will depend on the particular model you have.

Post more details of your hardware please.

Mshin 18:57 04 Jan 2006

I have not purchased a router yet, but all I have is an in built wireless card. That's all I know really, sorry for being so vague. I am in a hall and we would like to share the connection. Unless I'm being fooled, others have done it using some "proxy program" (i heard the name Soho... don't know what it is).

mgmcc 19:00 04 Jan 2006

If I understand correctly, you want to share your "wired" broadband connection over a "wireless" link between your laptop and the friend's laptop.

You need to set up an “Ad Hoc” (sometimes called a "Peer-to-Peer") Wireless Network. This is a network in which the two PCs talk directly with one another, rather than via a Wireless Access Point. “Internet Connection Sharing” would then enabled on the actual Internet connection (your "modem" connection)in your laptop and your friend's laptop will have Internet access provided your laptop is online and your network is running.

When you enable “Internet Connection Sharing” on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the Local Area Connection with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. However, as you will be using a WiFi adapter, you want this address to be allocated to it, rather than a “wired” Ethernet adapter if you have one fitted, so the Local Area Connection should be disabled before setting up “Internet Connection Sharing”. The "Client" PC's Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "Host" PC. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “Host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or “ICS” traffic will be blocked.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users...etc”.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone