Internet Settings - Wireless Network Help please!!

ardeecee 19:21 19 Aug 2006

I have my laptop set up on a wireless network at home through a router. All was well.

Recently, I bought a new mobile phone and have set it up so I can access the internet via my phone through bluetooth when I am not at home.

I used this the other day for the first time and now I have returned home, it seems the settings may have changed on my explorer and I can no longer access the internet through my wireless network. The network is up and running by the way.

When I do try and go on the internet, the bottom left corner of my explorer says "Detecting proxy settings" then a few seconds later asks me to connect via my phone.

Can anyone advise how to get my old settings back?

Thanks

STREETWORK 19:35 19 Aug 2006

Have you installed your mobile phone software?

Also, check that the phone is asking for the right connection. Open your network connections and find your phones connection. Check the settings in the properties. check it is automatically set to detect proxy, it will be on one of the tabs.

Another one to check is that you have ms client for networks installed and the tcp/ip is there, if not add it by clicking the install button, you may need your operating software disk

ardeecee 20:40 19 Aug 2006

Yes, the mobile phone software is installed and all is working fine with accessing via my mobile but that is all I seem to be able to do.

Now I am at home and have my much faster router access to the internet I want to be able to use that but all I seem to be able to do is connect via my mobile and not the wireless network.

All the TCP/IP settings seem to be there so I'm not sure where to go now

ardeecee 20:48 19 Aug 2006

Yes, the mobile phone software is installed and all is working fine with accessing via my mobile but that is all I seem to be able to do.

Now I am at home and have my much faster router access to the internet I want to be able to use that but all I seem to be able to do is connect via my mobile and not the wireless network.

All the TCP/IP settings seem to be there so I'm not sure where to go now

FelixTCat 21:42 19 Aug 2006

ardeecee,

Check in Internet Options - Connections. Which radio button is ticked? Either tick "Never dial..." or "Dial whenever...." if you regularly use the phone dial-up.

Regards,

Felix

ardeecee 22:14 19 Aug 2006

felix,

have done that. it doesn't now ask for the dial up connection which is what i was after but now doesn't bring up any web pages i.e. the "this page cannot be found" page.

I have made sure my firewall is turned off is still working fine.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks

ardeecee 22:16 19 Aug 2006

felix,

have done that. it doesn't now ask for the dial up connection which is what i was after but now doesn't bring up any web pages i.e. the "this page cannot be found" page.

I have made sure my firewall is turned off is still working fine.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks

FelixTCat 22:36 19 Aug 2006

ardeecee,

Please make sure that the wireless adapter is in place and powered up.

Does the wireless network icon appear in the Taskbar?

Is it trying to connect to a network?

Regards,

Felix

PS For some reason you are posting twice. Please only press the "Post Response" button once

ardeecee 17:31 20 Aug 2006

felix

the wireless network is all up and running, the icon on the taskbar states it is connect and the signal is excellent.

It just seems to be something with my internet settings

woodchip 17:38 20 Aug 2006

IE is defaulting to your phone, Why I do not know, as I do not use one. You could leave that And try with Firefox as your Browser or Netscape 7.2 What I use

FelixTCat 18:08 20 Aug 2006

ardeecee,

Double-click on the wireless network icon and click Support. The Default Gateway address is your router's address. If you put this address into your browser's address bar, can you log on to the router?

Regards,

Felix

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?