internet - server error cannot display pages

Camille 11:06 28 Mar 2003

Since following Tiscali's instructions for removing the tkonnect prog I have been unable to use the internet. Initially I couldn't connect at all and had to reinstall my dial up network from the win98 CDRom.
Although I can now connect at 42 kbp, once connected nothing happens. internet explorer will not display pages and i get the dns server error msg.
I have tried the following:
1. repaired IExplorer
2. reinstalled IExplorer
3. uninstalled and reinstalled the dial up connection for my ISP
4. Rang Tiscali and reconfigured the primary and secondary DNS settings for TCP/IP
5. Installed alternative ISP connection

Still cannot display pages! What can I do next???

graham 11:43 28 Mar 2003

A shot in the dark, 'control panel, internet options, general, delete files'.

Camille 12:04 28 Mar 2003

Thanks - but I regularly delete files and cookies, and there's nothing in those folders now since I can't connect anyway!!

graham 12:19 28 Mar 2003

In microsoft knowledge base there are 15 possible causes! Can you get to that from your help and support program? One easy one was to log on as a different user.

Camille 14:23 28 Mar 2003

ok - found advice that suggests winsock2 in registry is corrupted

HOWEVER - the advice is for win2000 and suggests copying a clean copy of winsock2 from a functioning pc onto a floppy disk.

Since my own pc runs win98, copying from win2000 wouldn't work. The only pc I have access to (which works) runs win2000

and so it goes on.....

Camille 17:34 28 Mar 2003

ok - now this is wierd. Following microsoft's instructions to repair internet connection. Had to uninstall firewall and check for connection. Did this and fully expected to connect and not display - BUT, everything is fine. No need to go any further. Only thing is, I havent got a firewall anymore... I've had AntiVir for ages with no problems, so cannot think why this should have made the difference!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?