Internet Security, Advice Please

mkennyd 15:30 21 May 2009

Dear All.
My freetrial subscription of Norton internet security has six days remaining, so as a member of PC Advisor, thought i'd check out some free options. I was drawn to one called Secunia Int Sec. Which PC. Advisor reccommends.
My initial question is, Can i try out this Secunia Int Sec Now, Or do i have to wait until my trial period with Norton has ended, I feel their would be too much confliction if one was fighting the other for superiority.
Whats the best approach.
Thanks
Mike.

mfletch 15:38 21 May 2009

No you will have to remove Norton first,

Norton is not easy to remove so you should use the Norton Removal Tool

click here

I alway recommend using Avast {free version} its very good

click here

mkennyd 15:58 21 May 2009

Thanks for that mfletch.
Il'l check out your links and see how i go on but thanks for telling me that i need to get rid of the Norton first.
Il'l certainly have a look at Avant as well.
Does that Toshiba advert piss you off? Just as i was reading your reply, it just showed itself as if nothing else matters, Took over the top corner of our page.
They had better sort it out or i'm off somewhere else for advice, hope you will follow!!!
But thanks for your input mfletch.

Mike.

mfletch 16:00 21 May 2009

I don't get any adverts I use a add blocker

RobCharles1981 16:06 21 May 2009

Not To Difficult To Search the forum for this topic?

click here

birdface 16:18 21 May 2009

click here I must admit that I have not heard of it .So I would not use anything without recommendations from others,

SB23 16:38 21 May 2009

Use the freebies, me thinks this may help you.

click here

With thanks to Skidzy.

Steve

Rahere 17:06 21 May 2009

As far as I know Secunia does not offer any protection it scans for out of date or insecure software - not something that is required to run everyday but useful all the same.

Use the links provided and practice safe surfing and you should be fine with free AV such as AVG or Avast. Plus a good firewall like Comodo (this has extra features beyond a firewall).

I also use Spywareblaster which hardens the browser plus I run scans regularly using Malwarebytes Antimalware and a squared too.

Before you install any of the above make sure your PC is clean of viruses etc by running an online scan at Eset (Nod32) or Kaspersky.

Good luck!

mooly 17:23 21 May 2009

My choice is FSecure Internet Security 2009. Under 20quid Amazon for the boxed retail version, 3 pc license. Used it for 3 years, never had a malware problem, in fact the real time scanner was triggered only yesterday... Trojan detected on a web page. Can't praise it highly enough. Does what it says, without nagging or user intervention.

mkennyd 17:38 21 May 2009

Thanks for that Rahere.
I take what you said on board.
Would it just be easier for me just too re-subscribe to the Norton system, Though i'm looking for a free alternative.
Thanks,
Mike.

mkennyd 17:40 21 May 2009

Oh and thanks too you too Mooly

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone