Internet Radio

shaduf 15:37 01 Mar 2007

Does listening to internet radio whilst surfing have any downsides? In particular, does it eat into any allowance that your ISP may allow or is it exactly the same as just being on line? Is it safe to leave it on more or less permanently? I am not talking about downloading the content, just listening to it and possibly recording.
Sorry if the question is a little vague but I am not familiar with the appropriate terminology.

Shaduf

anskyber 15:41 01 Mar 2007

No its not vague. The answer is the use of radio or any downloaded audio will take up part of your bandwidth allowance. You should keep an eye on your usage by using a bandwith meter. I have use this in the past. click here

recap 15:42 01 Mar 2007

Internet Radio can take some of your bandwidth. To check this you can use an online speed tester click here once loaded conduct a test without the radio to see what the speed is. Compare this with the radio running.

shaduf 16:06 01 Mar 2007

Thanks for the info, I’m beginning to grasp it.
If it’s just a loss of speed, I can live with that as it doesn’t seem to slow it down too much. If necessary I need only listen to the radio when I don’t want to surf.
Am I right in thinking I have a monthly bandwidth allowance and to know when I am using it up I have to have a meter.
My ISP is Pipex and unless they have changed it the package is called Solo 1000. I have searched their site but can’t find any information that I can interpret.
Thanks again for the help.

anskyber 16:23 01 Mar 2007

I see what you mean. Other users who are on Pipex will no doubt help you here but Solo does seem to have disappeared from their offerings.

From what I can see Solo may have been an "unlimited" service so download limits should not bother you too much. It could be you have been migrated to one of their limited services but they should have told you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?