Internet problems - can't download web pages

Shroomy 20:54 03 May 2007

Modem connects fine but when I click on internet explorer 99% of time I get message 'IE cannot display this webpage'. The diagnostic message 'res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm#' appears at bottom of screen. I unistalled norton antivirus in January using the norton uninstall tool and installed 90 day trial of livecare which worked OK. I uninstalled this just over a week ago and installed sophos which I get as a free download from my work. This is when the trouble started. When I turn off sophos the security centre tells me that norton is still running; when I turn on sophos it tells me I have more than 1 antivirus running. I've tried turning off the windows firewall but it won't turn off. There are still some norton and symantec folders on the hard disk. Can I just delete these? Will it make any difference?
My daughter can only use MSN messenger intermittenly i.e. about 1% of the time. Its driving her (and me) nuts. Any ideas gratefully accepted.

dewskit 21:20 03 May 2007

I think you will need to go to the Symantec website and download a Program from there which will remove all vestiges of the Norton antivirus. I opted to accept the Free Antivirus from BT Yahoo and had a similar problem, even though I was loading a more up to date Norton in place of the one on the machine.
Hope this helps, but no doubt a whiz kid on here will come back and fix it if it doesn't!

Tony

skidzy 21:27 03 May 2007

Run Ccleaner click here

Then use windows search and type Norton and delete all it finds,same again with Symantec.

Then try click here (reg Opt version) this has a trial version that will repair IE and scan and fix many problems.Trial version will only repair 10 errors at any one time,though you can rescan and repair as much as you like.

Have you tried uninstalling Sophos.

Shroomy 21:41 03 May 2007

Sorry, dropped connection and took a while to get going again. Tried norton uninstall again - didn't make any difference. I ran Ccleaner yesterday - that didn't work either. Will try your other suggestion skidzy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?