I have installed Windows 7 on a new hard drive after the old one failed. Ran all the updates etc, but am having trouble seeing web pages. Sometimes they load, sometimes only partially and sometimes not at all, prefering to show some text. Same problem on IE 11, Chrome and Firefox. Diagnostics says the PC appears to be configured correctly, but the DNS server isn't responding. I'm skeptical about this as my windows laptop, iMac and various IPhones, iPods and iPads are downloading we pages no problem. They use WiFi, whereas this PC is hard wired into the router. Any ideas?
Hi MechKB 2. You are correct, I don't have the disc that came with my motherboard. The best I could do is run a drive updayer utility.
I do have some exclaimation marks in Device manager. The most significant of these is on teredo pseudo interface and I followed procedures to update the drivers in this. This made the excalaimation mark go away, but I noticed it came back.
Other exclaimation marks are on what seem to be generic things like PCI Interface, Mega Byte and Unknown Device. Code 10 errors usually - no driver installed. I disabled these and it made no difference.
I have flushed the DNS server etc, etc.
I also instald a WiFi Dongle to rule out wiring glitches. The signal is booming in, but the internet isn't.
Sometimes pages load, but connectivity is lost shortly thereafter. It also comes and goes, but not to the extent you can download a program or utilty successfully.
Another thought . . . my previous version of Windows 7 was a 32bit version, and I understood the PC was 32 bit. However, it bizarre downloaded version, supposedly legit, but a mare to install. So, when I had all the drama mentioned in my last post, I bought an OEM version from an electronics shop and installed that. It would appear to be 64bit. Everything is working splendidly, except the internet. The original motherboard is in place and it's a much tinkered with Gateway G5054b. I don't know whether this is 64 bit or 32 bit.