internet problems

Star Lord 19:52 06 Oct 2007

My pc does not seem to allow me to access the internet via the icon on my desktop, everytime I do my pc crashes and reboots its self to the log on screen.

I can however access the internet on my pc when I use firefox portable application, which I am using now. I can't seem to work out what the problem is. I have done virus check but still nothing. I have tried system resort, safe mode and scan now and check disk still no problems. I can access my email fine and internet via portable applications.

However I can not access the web via icons on desktop e.g internet explorer or bitcomet as my pc crashes

can someone help?
for info, if it helps

xp pro v 2002 sp2
AMD ATHLON (TM) XP 2500+
1.83GHZ 1GB OF RAM

cheers

Clapton is God 19:59 06 Oct 2007

Delete the desktop icons and recreate them

Star Lord 20:06 06 Oct 2007

Sorry should have said I have already done this, I have also unistalled the software and reinstalled it still the same problem. Crashes every time, at least on the last few attempts the desktop has not crashed as it was doing that before, as soon as the icons would show the desktop would crash. I don't think that is full resolved yet, but for now its fine.

I can't understand why I can access the internet via portable applications but not via the icons on my pc. Im on my pc now desktop is showing, I know if i access the internet via the desktop icon the pc will crash

please advise

STREETWORK 22:30 06 Oct 2007

Can you roll back using system restore?

Should that fail then reinstall IE...

Star Lord 17:13 07 Oct 2007

I have already done this but still no luck. can anyone help?

one of my main problems is that if the desktop does not crash, I have full access to my pc apart from the internet or bitcomet. Everytime i click on the net or bitcomet icon the pc crashes, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the browser and bitomet but still the same happens

please advise

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:22 07 Oct 2007

Repair IE
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?