Internet not working on Home Server - AGAIN!

Shark boy 11:27 24 Aug 2010

Hi,

I have a Windows Vista Home Premium pc that won't connect to the internet, via a wired connection direct to the router. However, my antivirus (avast! Home Edition) can still update, and so can Windows. Why is this, and how can I rectify the problem?

Thanks,

Will

tullie 11:34 24 Aug 2010

If Avast and Windows update, then you must have a connection,im sure someone will have an answer.

Shark boy 11:36 24 Aug 2010

Thanks Tullie, thinkin its summet to do with the service!

johndrew 11:40 24 Aug 2010

If your AV and Windows can update you are connected to the internet.

Perhaps what you need to check are your firewall permissions. These may well be blocking traffic if you have not approved the connection - after all that is what a firewall is for. If you are using both the router firewall and one installed on your PC it could be either or both that are causing this.

To check this you could start your browser on a trusted site that doesn't connect at the moment and shut your firewall off for a second or two. If it connects then you will need to sort your firewall.

Shark boy 11:43 24 Aug 2010

Have checked firewall permissions, and tried turning it off then trying it. Still no luck.

Woolwell 12:39 24 Aug 2010

Does the Network and Sharing Center show that you have full access to the internet?
To open the Center click on the orb and put "Network and Sharing Center" in the search box, click on it and see what it says.
There should be green lines between your pc, the router and the internet and under the network name it should state access - Local and Internet. If it does not state this you are not connected to the internet and I doubt that avast and windows are actually updating.
A further check is to open your router's configuration pages and check its status is it connected?
Which browser are you using?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone