internet but no mail

steveredbridge 17:28 09 Jan 2009

I have done something but don't know what. I have had it all working but now all I get is the internet and I can work with my old e-mails but not send or receive new ones. I am running vista on a packard bell, was on tiscali's own sagem usb modem. now on belkin wireless router(which i have had working) no hair left to tear out!

Pineman100 17:31 09 Jan 2009

If you can connect to the internet, but not send or receive emails, then (assuming you're using an email client), the chances are that there's something wrong with your email account.

Do you understand how to check whether your account is correctly set up? If not, what software do you use for emails? And who is your ISP?

steveredbridge 17:57 09 Jan 2009

I have checked the setup but am not 100% sure what i am looking for, it keeps trying to connect to my old dial up which of course is now not connected. i use windows mail and tiscali. thanks for responding

Pineman100 18:46 09 Jan 2009

Try this.

Click Start>Control Panel(Classic View)>Internet Options. On the Connections tab, you'll see a choice of three settings as follows:

Never dial a connection
Dial whenever a network connection is not present
Always dial my default connection

The radio button against "Never dial....." should be highlighted. If a different one is highlighted, click on the top radio button then click Apply>OK.

Let me know if that works.

sunnystaines 19:31 09 Jan 2009

its tiscali their severs are messing up emails on/off all the time over last week or two.

steveredbridge 20:32 09 Jan 2009

I have got it set at never dial already although i did it from accounts in windows mail, Ihave just checked it's the same in control panel. Thanks for the tip about tiscali sunnystaines, i'll bear that in mind just before I throw the pc out of the window.

steveredbridge 20:40 09 Jan 2009

In fact i am now finding that the accounts section of windows mail is not responding, don't know if that means anything?

steveredbridge 20:52 09 Jan 2009

correction: everything in the properties section displays ok but as soon as I try the connections tab it stops responding.

FreMar 11:14 10 Jan 2009

copy and paste the following into your browser: click here. This takes you to Microsofts help & support centre, under Windows Vista, click 926374, this may help.

Pineman100 11:51 10 Jan 2009

I would delete your Windows Mail email account and then create it afresh. Make sure you have noted all the necessary data such as the pop3 and smtp server names, your username and password, before you delete it.

Then follow this: click here

steveredbridge 11:42 11 Jan 2009

today i switched on and it's all working, i have done nothing .s o it could well be tiscali playing up. thanks to everyone for their help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone