internet for my laptop

loganly 20:21 17 Dec 2007

i have 2 desktop pcs connected to the internet with a modem on my downstairs pc and then i use a ethernet cable to connect my other pc upstairs this works great now we have bought a laptop for my daughter which is wireless enabled but how to we get the laptop hooked up to internet

JoE. 20:29 17 Dec 2007

Get a wireless router with a built in modem and use it in place of your modem. Simple :)

loganly 20:32 17 Dec 2007

how much do they cost and which one

loganly 20:45 17 Dec 2007

dont really want to stop using my ethernet has i get better connection speeds

MAJ 21:15 17 Dec 2007

The lack of punctuation in your first post makes it difficult to understand, but assuming you have a network set up, you only have to add the laptop to that network. Unfortunately that would mean that the laptop wouldn't be mobile. As JoE says, a wireless modem router would cure that problem, but changing your network to a wireless network, might be a little expensive, about £40 for the wireless modem router and about £20 for a USB wireless adapter for each of the desktop PCs.

wjrt 21:38 17 Dec 2007

one of these should do and has the ability to connect up to 4 desktops or other devices by ethernet cable as well as up to about 250 devices by wireless. for your present system the downstairs would connect by cable if your router telephone connection is there, the upstairs desktop also by cable if you want or wirless using the usb device and the laptop by wireless which as if new laptop then wireless connection should already be built in

Quiller. 21:58 17 Dec 2007

Use a ethernet switch then click here

Feed the line from the modem or Pc into the switch and then draw the feeds out to your machines.

The laptop would be hard wired, just like the rest.

loganly 22:32 17 Dec 2007

thanks wjrt + quiller didnt realise it was a english lesson MAJ everyone else understood it

with the ethernet switch do i just use another cable from that to the laptop and use the desktops as before

loganly 22:59 17 Dec 2007

NETGEAR - 5-PORT 10/100 FAST ETHERNET SWITCH in pcworld £12.99 do i just connect this to my ethernet cable and then from the switch to the other pcs ??

Quiller. 23:01 17 Dec 2007

If you use a crossover lan cable from your internet PC to you PC upstairs, you will need to change this to a pair of straight through cables.

One cable from the ethernet port of the internet PC to the switch. Then one cable from the switch to the PC upstairs.

You would then just need one cable from the switch to the laptop.

Quiller. 23:05 17 Dec 2007

Cables can be just a couple of pounds each, but not from pcworld. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?