Internet look up

silver78 17:01 21 Apr 2011

I'm using Win7 and XP and use Firefox 3.6x on both. Mainly I use Win7 but in the last couple of days I've noticed that whenever I go online the bar at the bottom seems to be doing an awful lot of 'Looking up' which is slowing down my browsing. I re-started using XP and don't have this problem in fact there is no 'looking up' at all. I've checked Win7 using 'Housecall' which reports no threats. I use Avast(free) as my AV program. The only thing that concerns me is that I updated Nero 9 and inadvertantly allowed it to install the 'Ask' toolbar which I deleted and uninstalled when I realised my error It's possible this is when my problem started. I have all the latest updates for Win7. I have even re-started my modem/router a couple of times.

woodchip 17:12 21 Apr 2011

You need to Disable Windows Indexing Service

Link Icon is not loading for this post so copy the Address then Paste it to the Address Bar in you browser and press enter

http://windows7themes.net/disable-windows-7-indexing.html

silver78 17:32 21 Apr 2011

tried that woodchip, not made slightest difference. Just for info, I disabled sys restore and indexing when I first installed W7

Nontek 17:36 21 Apr 2011

Disabled System Restore ???? I hope you do regular backups with Acronis or similar!

birdface 18:16 21 Apr 2011

Why not download Firefox4 and see if that works any better. And if using Firefox make sure you have a good ad-blocker installed.

silver78 20:18 21 Apr 2011

IMHO sys restore is more trouble than its worth. I did upgrade to Firefox 4 but it made no difference. Firefox comes with a decent ad blocker of its own. When its loading a page its looking up things like AdTech etc which I suspect are embedded in the web page itself. What I can't understand is why it looks up the web page before loading it which slows everything down.IE9 has the same problem. By comparison my other OS XP has none of these problems using firefox or IE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?