Internet on Laptop

Chippet 22:20 06 Aug 2009

I'm wanting to get a laptop to use at home and connect to my parents desktop computers internet.

My dad isn't keen on the wireless idea as does a lot of banking online for his business and doesn't trust it.

We currently have a ADSL modem connected to the phoneline and then to the desktop via a usb connector.

I have a phone line in my room, can i connect my laptop to that and get connected, or will i have to connect up directly to the modem?

Thanks

tullie 22:38 06 Aug 2009

I think wireless is the way to go,if its in your room,it wont affect your dad using the wired connection downstairs.

ArrGee 21:23 07 Aug 2009

Wired connection will be the best way to go, however you can also ensure some level of security using MAC addresses and a decent firewall such as Comodo.

Pineman100 19:04 14 Aug 2009

If you buy a wireless router, your dad can still connect to it via an ethernet cable, while you can connect to it wirelessly.

However, I think you can set your dad's mind at rest. Even if he changed to a wireless connection (and this isn't essential), so long as the wireless network is properly set up with encryption and MAC filtering, it should be perfectly secure.

Forum Editor 22:50 14 Aug 2009

all day, every day, and they regularly use on-line banking services in this way.

Provided the wireless router is properly secured your father need have no fear - his banking business will be as secure as it is now,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?