Internet History

oasisrule 17:16 10 Nov 2006

Hi

I want to find out what my children and their friends are looking at over the internet, the trouble is after they've finished they always delete cookies, delete temporary internet files and clear the history. Is there anywhere else i can look to see what they've been looking at?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

anskyber 17:21 10 Nov 2006

Put a program on which gives you the parental control.

picklefactory 18:31 10 Nov 2006

As anskyber says, use a program, Google for parental internet spy or checker and you will find quite a few. If you want to control what they can look at there are things like Cyber Patrol and Net Nanny, I've used Cyber Patrol before, it's good at restricting dodgy sites, but can be a bit of a pain as it also restricts a lot of harmless ones too at times, had a constant job overriding restrictions and allowing OK sites and adding them to the OK list, these programs also let you restrict times and duration of surfing periods.
Another option might be to move the pc to an exposed place in the house where you or someone else can see what they are doing.

GaT7 19:04 10 Nov 2006

For a start, try the simple & free index.dat Viewer click here. Works for IE only & requires that the index.dat file(s) are not deleted after their Internet sessions.

No install needed - just unzip it & run the executable, from a USB pen drive or floppy even. I wish it had a scroll bar though!

Many similar free programs available click here. G

GaT7 20:38 10 Nov 2006

Found a much better index.dat viewer that requires no install as well - Index.dat Suite click here. Again, works for IE only & requires that the index.dat files are not deleted/edited after each Internet session.

Preferably download the 'No-install' version if using Win2K/XP/2003 - 171Kb (if you have problems running it look under "Q. Which of the available packages should I download?" click here).

You can save a list of the visited sites to a text file, & examine which logged-in user has visted which sites, etc, etc. G

VoG II 20:46 10 Nov 2006

There is an alternative to this - trusting your kids! Warn them of the dangers, obviously, but is this level of intrusion into their privacy really necessary? Do you monitor their phone calls, open their snail mail and check their diaries?

Jackcoms 21:33 10 Nov 2006

On the other hand, if they always delete cookies, temporary internet files and history they've obviously got something to hide.

Ban them from using the internet until they mend their ways.

VoG II 21:40 10 Nov 2006

They might just be tidy kids. But I concede that that is extremely unlikely.

What do you suspect?

Jackcoms 21:48 10 Nov 2006

I see that oasisrulke is concerned about what "my children and their friends are looking at over the internet".

Note the "and their friends".

Now, I might be a cynical old greybeard, but it doesn't take much of an imagination stretch to come up with a list of 'dubious' material available on the internet. ;-(

phono 21:52 10 Nov 2006

By any chance has IE been set to automatically delete all cookies, temp files and history when it is shut down? It may not be your children deleting these items, it may well be IE itself.

GaT7 22:09 10 Nov 2006

There's a setting to clear Internet cache when exiting, but I don't know about the other two - I think they can only be manually deleted (in IE anyway). G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?