Internet Gone Slow

adamh87 00:04 13 Oct 2005

I have recently bought a new computer, it is faster than my old system. But the internet seems to be running really slow, i knwow it aint nothing to do with my ISP as other computers in my house are fine. I was wondering if there was any settings i can change to make it run faster.

Thnaks

chaztait 17:46 13 Oct 2005

when you say a "new" computer do you mean just out the box, or 2nd hand?

If it's second hand it may well be spyware thats slowing it down, but if its a brand new PC and its been running slow from day one then there is somthing wrong.

And if you can tell us what the specs are of this new computer and the old one.

Chaz

adamh87 18:28 13 Oct 2005

It out of the box computer

New computers specs:
AMD 3200+ 64bit
1GB Ram
200GB Hard drive
128MB Graphics Card

Old Computer specs:
AMD XP 3200+
512mb Ram
80GB Hard drive
256MB Graphics Card

Hope its something i can sort out by changing a few settings or something!

Adam

Jackcoms 20:20 13 Oct 2005

Are you using the same modem and drivers on this new PC as on the old PC?

adamh87 20:23 13 Oct 2005

I have a wireless router shring 3 computers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:36 13 Oct 2005

1. Increase maximum number of simultaneous connection in Internet Explorer

By default, Internet Explorer 6 allows only two simultaneous server connections, which is fine for normal use, but can bog down when you are connecting to web pages with lots of graphical content. By increasing the number of possible connections, you can use your Internet bandwidth more efficiently, and load complex web pages faster.

To increase IE maximum connections:

Start REGEDIT.

Navigate to 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings'

Add the following two DWORD entries:

'MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server' value equals '0000000a'
'MaxConnectionsPerServer' value equals '0000000a'

Exit and reboot.

2. Wifi 802.11b devices slow down 802.11g networks

802.11g is completely backwardly compatible with 802.11b, but this backwards compatibility carries one major disadvantage.

Connecting an 802.11b client to an 802.11g wireless network will drag down the speed of the entire network due to signaling compromises that need to be made to accommodate the older device. Expect average throughput to be about half of what it would be if the network contains only 802.11g devices. So if you are hosting an 802.11g wireless network, consider upgrading your clients to WIFI 'g' devices also.

3. Just because the box advertises a certain maximum speed does not mean that your wireless router and network cards are actually reaching that speed currently.

Many wireless product vendors include support for various proprietary wireless modes which offer considerably increased bandwidth and speed under certain conditions. Generally these devices (such as the 'super G' products offered by many manufacturers, which support up to 108Mbps bandwidth) require all wireless clients to support the same mode. Since these higher-speed modes are not generally enable by default, it's a good idea to check your existing wireless equipment to see if there is some way to squeeze more speed out of it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:42 13 Oct 2005

4. Closer is better for wireless

The stronger the wireless signal, the faster and more reliable the data transfer will be. While 802.11b and g devices are supposed to work effectively up to 300 feet from a wireless access point, the range of individual products varies widely, and obstructions and atmospheric conditions also affect this number. Most common obstructions (such as typical wooden flooring in a house) provide less of an obstacle to a wireless signal than an increase in distance does, so plan your wireless placement accordingly.

5. Enhance your Internet connection

If you have a broadband connection, either DSL or cable, chances are there's a few things you could do to optimize its speed. Windows XP uses a variety of registry settings to control how fast data is passed to and from network interfaces, so tweaking these settings to more accurately reflect the capabilities of your connection is a good idea. As there are a number of rather esoteric locations in the registry that need to be changed in order to tweak your connection's speed, refer instead to the selection of registry files here to automatically set the correct values for your system.

a). Increase DNS cache size

Items are kept in the cache for a finite amount of time and are constantly bumped to make room for more recent addresses. By increasing the size of the DNS cache, you can increase the speed of your web browsing, especially if you regularly check the same web pages.

To increase the size of the DNS cache, open REGEDIT and navigate to; 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters'

Create the following DWORD values:

CacheHashTableBucketSize = 1

CacheHashTableSize = 180

MaxCacheEntryTtlLimit = ff00

MaxSOACacheEntryTtlLimit = 12d

Exit and restart

b). Disable DHCP with DSL connections

If you use a DSL modem to connect to the Internet, and you dial the connection directly from your computer, you may notice a rather long delay between the time the Windows desktop appears when booting up and when you can actually dial your connection. This delay can sometimes be up to two or three minutes, and can be extremely frustrating since it tends to lag other applications as well. The source of this delay is Windows XP attempting to locate an IP address for the network adaptor you are using to connect to the DSL modem.

This only occurs if the adaptor in question is set to 'obtain an IP address automatically' meaning Windows will actively seek to find an IP address for that adaptor from an outside source before assigning it one of its own range of addresses.

You can halt this behavior by simply assigning the network adaptor an IP address manually. It doesn't matter which IP address, as long as it is in one of the private address ranges (like 192.168.xxx.xxx). This will not effect your Internet connection, as the DSL modem and the adaptor form a separate 'virtual' connection which is assigned an IP address by your Internet service provider.

To assign your network card a manual (static) IP address:

Right click on 'my network places' in the start menu and hit 'properties.'

Highlight the network adaptor that is connected to your modem. If you have only one network adaptor, this will be 'local area connection.' Right click and select 'properties.'

Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click 'properties.'

Check 'use the following IP address' then in the 'IP address:' field, enter '192.168.5. (Pick a number between 1 and 254)' Enter '255.255.255.0' in the 'subnet mask:' field. Click 'ok.'

The next time you reboot, the delay should be gone, and you will be able to access your connection right away.

c). Do not cache failed DNS entries

By default, Windows XP will cache the IP addresses connected to DNS names (such as website addresses) as they are entered into your browser. This speeds up subsequent visits to the same addresses because the system does not have to search for the IP address that the DNS name represents.

This is good for Internet performance as a whole, but it does have a downside. If you type in a valid URL that is not functioning at that point in time, Windows will cache the unsuccessful result, meaning that all attempts to access that address may fail until the failed entry is gone from the cache. This takes about 5 minutes.
You can prevent Windows XP from caching unsuccessful DNS lookups by creating three new registry values.

To do this open REGEDIT and navigate to: 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters'

Create the following DWORD values:

NegativeCacheTime= 0

NetFailureCacheTime= 0

NegativeSOACacheTime= 0

Reboot for the changes to take effect

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:47 13 Oct 2005

5. Remove the QoS Bandwidth Reserve Setting

Windows XP's networking setup includes a QOS (Quality Of Service) provision which allows certain software (anything which has been written to take advantage of QOS in Windows) to reserve up to 20% of the bandwidth of a given network connection.

This does not mean that 20% of bandwidth is withheld by the operating system at all times, What it means is that certain programs can reserve this percentage of bandwidth for themselves when they are running.

If you wish to disable QOS, ensuring that your Internet bandwidth is strictly 'first come, first served.' a registry edit to do that:

To do this open REGEDIT and navigate to;
'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Psched'

Data Type: DWORD Value // Value Name: NonBestEffortLimit

Setting for Value Data: [Enter as a Percentage / Default Value = 20]

Exit Registry and Reboot

adamh87 21:32 13 Oct 2005

Thanks fruit bat i'll give that ago when i get in. Hope it sorts it out :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?