Internet Gateway Problem.

Alf58 21:40 12 Dec 2003

I've got a home network with a Medion PC (2.6 Ghz)running Windows XP Home edition at its centre. There is an older PC happily running WinMe and a laptop running Windows XP Professional. All three machines read each others hard drives and connect to the internet through the Medion using an internet gateway. Everything was lovely until my wife brought home from work(she is a teacher) a Compaq laptop running Win Xp Pro. I allowed it to configure itself on the network which it appeared to do. It reads all the hard drives of the other machines and they can read its with no problem. BUT It cannot connect to the internet the way all the other machines do. It thinks it is connected (if you click on network connections the gateway icon is displayed together with the connection speed but the figures for data exchange remain in single figures) but the icons of the two computer screens on the task bar remain unlit and when you try to visit any kind of website you get the "this page cannot be displayed message" If you click on the link to check the network configuration nothing happens apart from the red of the link going gray.

Any words of wisdom guys?

vinnyo123 21:56 12 Dec 2003

I would check into IE internet options >tolls>connections>LAN settings it shoud be set up to your network topology not the schools....hope this helps alittle!!!

beeuuem 22:05 12 Dec 2003

It sounds as if the firewall is preventing access to the internet.
If the XP firewall is used this may help
click here

Alf58 18:46 13 Dec 2003

Thanks for your ideas guys but I'm no nearer solving the probs. The firewall is disabled on the laptop. Because I used the XP pro networking wizard, all the settings seem configured correctly (as I said in first post Xp pro configured another laptop to work on the network with no probs)

I wonder if vinnyo123 could be a bit more specific about tolls Lan connections etc?

vinnyo123 02:58 14 Dec 2003

it is tools ,,,how is PC configured to get IP address ,DNS servers ,proxy server etc.

Alf58 20:44 14 Dec 2003

As far as I am aware, WIN XP networking wizard configures these. My other laptop works fine and all I did was plug it into the hub on my home network and set in motion the XP Pro networking wizard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?