Internet Explorer won't work

ZootHornRollo 20:13 29 Sep 2009

I normally use Firefox or Chrome as my browser When trying to launch Lord of the Rings Online the game would not launch because it uses IE for Cache and connection settings. I have tried launching IE7 and IE8 but keep getting the message that IE cannot display the webpage. Other programmes are similalrly effected - ITunes won't update podcasts saying the Network connection timed out. I can still access emails and the net via Chrome as before. Any ideas?

ArrGee 20:29 29 Sep 2009

Try restoring defaults in Advanced options (via Tools - Internet Options) in both IE7 and 8.

birdface 20:46 29 Sep 2009

Or follow ArrGee's directions but press reset.This resets I/explorer to its original state.

ZootHornRollo 21:04 29 Sep 2009

Tried both Arr Gee and buteman's advice but still no connection

Technotiger 22:55 29 Sep 2009

I normally use Firefox too, but recently had similar problem with IE not displaying pages, even though FF was ok - I found that in IE Tools>Internet Options>Connections it had somehow, without my assistance, reset itself away from 'Never dial a connection' ...

rdave13 23:03 29 Sep 2009

Shot in the dark but it might be a trojan? Worth running Malwarebytes and Superantispyware (free versions).

ZootHornRollo 23:43 29 Sep 2009

Thanks to Technotiger - exactly the same thing happened with me - God knows why though - but all sorted now. Cheers

Technotiger 07:57 30 Sep 2009

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

Computers huh, I'll never understand them :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone